T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first post here but have been lurking for sometime. I am planning on starting a small t-shirt business to serve the gaming industry (the gamers and not the companies who make games). I have a press (proworld), Epson printer with pigment inks, shirts and some opaque transfer paper (Ink Flex Dark) that I purchased from Specialty Graphics Supply. I have read through many posts here, but haven't seen a definitive answer to the questions below. Any pro info that can be provided is very much appreciated.

1) Opaque Paper for Dark shirts: Which brand has the lightest hand, accepts pigment ink well and doesn't "pucker" after one wash.

The reason for the above question: I have used 14 pieces of the Ink Flex Dark, super heavy hand, every shirt has "puckering" after 1 wash, colors printed on it were very washed out, no real line definition on lettering, subdued and slight blurry print straight out of the printer. Made sure it wasn't my printer by printing on HP transfer paper, which came out flawless. Followed the Ink Flex Dark instructions to the letter with awful results.

2) What exactly are Light and Dark fabrics? The obvious ones are obvious: Black vs White etc. On a color wheel where does a shirt become dark as opposed to it being light.

The reason for this question is I have read that light fabric transfer paper has a lighter hand, has greater ink vibrancy retention, etc. So if what I am experiencing with Ink Flex Dark is the norm, then I am only going to do light fabrics.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, any help you can provide is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
That is exactly the reason many of us only do light garment transfers. My general rule is white or pastel colors, or whatever looks good. God Bless

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response! Could you tell me where lights end and darks begin? Or could you point me to a website that does so?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Lights are usually white, light or ash gray and very light pastal colors. Still a good rule to trim the transfer close before pressing. I use JPSS and have to increase my brightness and use the vivid setting on my 1900 to get great colors. I also post press with parchment and get soft hand. I stay away from darks. Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts