T-Shirt Forums banner

looking for dst help!

2236 Views 17 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  brenden
Hello forum!

Newbie here..

Hoping someone may be able to help me out. I was looking to have one hat made with what I think is a pretty simple design. When I went to a local shop that does custom work I inquired about pricing which seemed reasonable for the actual embroidering. I then asked what format they needed for their machines and was told it had to be a dst file. their shop was saying it would be an additional fee to have it setup, which I was not opposed to. adding things up it now makes the single hat I was hoping to have done rediculously expensive. I don't expect things to be free but was wondering if someone could create dst files for me of 2 simple images. I've attached both images To this post. The one of the car would have the flames removed and he stitching be the white of the car. Sizing would be enough to fit on one panel of a hat.. so like 3" across or so and flat and the lettering would only be no more than an inch tall and ideally 3d if that makes a difference.

If someone is willing and able to take this on Please let me know. Any help would be great!!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
See less See more
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
*facepalm* Wow..... Um Go with them.
Seriously...
Whatever they were charging you it was probably the correct price to do it right for their machine.
Especially if you want 3D. Pretty much your unlikely to find someone free but you may find someone cheap but not as cheap as what you are thinking with the artwork you have.
If you do find someone cheap... DO NOT BLAME THE EMBROIDERER if it comes out bad...
The file is 90% of the quality and if you have a bad file you get a bad result.

But that said... someone may be willing to help. Just giving you a heads up if no one else answers or doesn't answer what you were expecting.

As a note (It takes years of experience and single piece $4000 to $10,000 software to make a GOOD dst like you are asking for) to put it into scale
Reactions: 1
There are a lot of offshore places that will do the first dst for you for free.
No problem. And thanks for your honest reply. I was by no means looking for someone to do this for free as stated in the post. Just maybe someone with experience in this field and maybe a quote to see if i could get it any less expensive than the retail brick and moarter store at retail markups.

What were you quoted?
I can at least tell you if it is FAIR "If" they are good at what they do.
I am both in-house digitizer and Embroidery business/machine operator so i say this next part whole heartedly.

Honestly I throw out almost all the files people bring me in .dst anyways and re-do them cause they are crap or just not perfectly tailored to MY machine and Its faster to remake most files than it is to fix them. And unless you know what you are doing and have viewing software there would be no way YOU could tell if it was bad file or good for a project especially for 3D. That and while there are many people on the site I would trust... and if they want to reply to this I would give them a good recommendation there are a lot of "cheap" bad digitizers who might swoop in on this for a quick nonrefundable buck... just a heads up.

Not saying you wont get a bad job once its all said and done even if you went that route... just saying your kinda opening up a can of worms that I would not recommend if the company seemed good and capable of the work.
See less See more
That and some of the bad files Ive tried back before I did my own digitizing tore up my $40K machine... so I trust nothing cheap or brought to me.
Makes total sense. Without breaking any forum rules.. Lets say that the store is a major player in the retail market that sells hats at most malls across north America (I live in Canada) They in store sell the idea of custom hats. I'm not too sure which brand of machine they use...

they were quoting me $25 each for the images to be digitized, which I'm thinking is probably about fair market value after doing more research.

I usually reach out to forums to get some better answers and information.

Hmmm Your paying to little and they do not know what they are doing with them.
assuming I know who your talking about and knowing what I would pay for the work you are asking... (If I outsourced)

You would get an okay result they were charging you fair.

I would easily charge more. but I don't specialize in hats alone (specialization is cheaper than versatility)
that's at least what the Guy behind the desk was quoting. It could end up being more like you suggest.

I appreciate all your help and feedback. If I end up going through with this I guess I will use their in house team.

I was hoping to not invest roughly $120 into a ball cap haha

I totally appreciate your feedback and help in this.

If I do end up going through with this I guess I will use their in house team.

Makes total sense. Without breaking any forum rules.. Lets say that the store is a major player in the retail market that sells hats at most malls across north America (I live in Canada) They in store sell the idea of custom hats. I'm not too sure which brand of machine they use...

they were quoting me $25 each for the images to be digitized, which I'm thinking is probably about fair market value after doing more research.

I usually reach out to forums to get some better answers and information.

That is more than fair. $40 would be normal.
Makes sense to use their inhouse team as long as you can get enough profit to cover your time especially if you're new to embroidery and haven't sewn 3D embroidery before. Single hat orders are rarely worth the time they take up. You might say you'll do the order but you have a 6 hat minimum.
Chris,

Its a rabbit hole. Its not cost effective for a business to do it. When you eliminate the digitizing to reduce your cost it relinquishes the business from any responsibility of the final product.

The businesses investment in the equipment and software is high and one off hats are not worth the effort. Only a one off guy will take your job but needs to charge for his services which should be high once again.
Getting a cheap one off guy will help and make him happy but most like you will be unhappy.

I looked at your images and it is basic as you said.

The bottom line is custom and cost cutting are not synonymous.

Inobu
it is a rare bird that somebody pays for digitizing two designs to go on one cap. its just not cost effective. you may be better off trying to find a cheap stock design that kind of accomplishes what you're looking for if you're wanting to do one cap. if you're thinking that you'll do this once and then sell 100 of them later, then pay to get decent digitizing done. personally i would have charged about double what they're wanting to charge you for the digitizing....so that's a bargain if they do a good job. but you have to understand that digitizing is like a meal. say, you're hungry for a burger. you can go to krystal and pay $1 for a burger that 'fills the hole' but kind of tastes like worms. or you can to go ruths chris and spend $60 bucks on the best burger ever....BUT....you could find a freaking fly on that burger that makes it totally inedible...and you would have been better off with the worm burger. long story short....there are many good digitizers, but there are probably 100 bad ones for every good one. i'm sure there are many digitizers, especially overseas that don't charge much and do a great job. and digitizers state-side that are charging too much for their 'crap' designs. if you're looking for a great digitizer, your best shot to find a good one is research: read reviews, ask embroiderers, read testimonials, shop around and pick one that offers money back if you're not happy. the cost of the digitizing doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to get a good file.

btw, don't do foam on that car...it won't look good.
See less See more
You definitely want to use their own art team or like has been stated you will end up with a crap product and they will just shrug and say that was YOUR dst. file and probably be totally correct.

I run a single head in a ma and pa shop from home (no brick or mortar just vinyl siding) Even a guy like me would have to charge you a-plenty to make it worth the time to mess with. Things you don't see are the time it takes just to load and test a design and then the setup for that specific color set and maybe change some needles not to mention if the hat driver was even on the machine. Easily tie up a half hour to a whole hour before even sewing one single hat. That's all AFTER the design work.
$20 for digitizing a design seems very fair. The process of creating a design for embroidery is not like printing. It's not as simple as load, print. It requires the use of specialty software which costs thousands of dollars, and the digitizer basically needs to re-create your design in the software which eventually outputs the stitch file (DST) that contains the stitching commands for the machine.

You could always consider a cheaper iron transfer but frankly you won't get the quality that you would get if you went for embroidery.

All up those prices sound fair, considering you are getting quantity one.

Brenden
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.