T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just designed my first shirt, hoping to make it my first seller once the heat press arrives. Being brand new at this, I would be interested in any critiques or comments anyone might have. In particular, I attached the same design with two different texts, one of them was my idea, the other was my wife (I won't tell you which!!) If you are interested in critiquing them, I would like to know which you would prefer (if either). Thanks so much in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
to be brutally honest the design is terrible.. the small/thin peace sign almost cuts the face into pieces like a pie and make it hard to figure out who youre looking at and what youre trying to say.. it may be the colors or that my mind is trying to connect the black lines but its like a slash through the face? I dont think the type is the problem i think the focus of your design is.

hope its not too brutal :)
but you have a good idea, but the design needs some work.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
to be brutally honest the design is terrible.. the small/thin peace sign almost cuts the face into pieces like a pie and make it hard to figure out who youre looking at and what youre trying to say.. it may be the colors or that my mind is trying to connect the black lines but its like a slash through the face? I dont think the type is the problem i think the focus of your design is.

hope its not too brutal :)
but you have a good idea, but the design needs some work.
Thanks a lot - definitely not too brutal! How else will I improve, right? I agree the peace sign is a little flimsy. Tell me what you think of this update if you don't mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
They are both nice concepts and ideas since there are so many people on this peace bandwagon Beatles thing...personally i would not buy it though. Number one is the better out of the two because the writing is much more readable. But frankly..its been done before some originality might sway me otherwise.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'd say have the peace sign stems go right up and tuck under a bit of Lennons hair, cheeks & chin.
That way you should be able to distinguish both. The peace sign showing isn't cutting it.
Time wounds all heals

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'd say have the peace sign stems go right up and tuck under a bit of Lennons hair, cheeks & chin.
That way you should be able to distinguish both. The peace sign showing isn't cutting it.
Time wounds all heals
Do you mean instead of having the white part of the face transparent, make it so it completely overlays the peace sign? I attached what I think you're talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
On a personal note.... i dont like it one bit sorry.
Not to mention i come from and live in Liverpool, but the picture is not something that would sell here. Not to mention copy rights that his wife has on everything.
If anything i would lighten the peace symbol and darken the picture, totaly the oppisit of what you have done.
Just my own views, and you did ask for us to be honest ;)

·
Registered
414 Posts
at first glance it looked like it was a bullseye aimed right between his eyes. Then i saw that it was john lennon and it seemed even funnier, then i saw that in fact it was a peace sign.

The colrs dont contrast enough to let each item be distictive and seperate from each other.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On a personal note.... i dont like it one bit sorry.
Not to mention i come from and live in Liverpool, but the picture is not something that would sell here. Not to mention copy rights that his wife has on everything.
If anything i would lighten the peace symbol and darken the picture, totaly the oppisit of what you have done.
Just my own views, and you did ask for us to be honest ;)
Hmm... I tried that when I first put it together and didn't really like it, but with the thicker peace sign it's not bad. And I do appreciate your opinion (honest criticism never bothers me, I take a lot of sh*t at work so this is nothing)!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
I think the concept is ok, but as a previous poster stated, I would definitely worry about being sued. Anything Beatles or John Lennon is going to be vigorously protected. You may get yourself into trouble with printing this. I would definitely worry about that a lot more then if the design will sell. I would worry about what happens when it does :)

Reactions: Tufflaw

·
Registered
369 Posts
if you can get away with printing it and selling it, forgot about that.. maybe an idea just use the face, then underneath 'give it a chance.' and use a med/small peace sign as the period. I would wear a shirt like that, just a shoulder up stencil style face, give it a chance (peace).. I think that would be dope (so if you print one you can send one my way :D )

I dont know if you could sell a whole lot before sum1 caught on and wanted to sue you but I say print a couple for you and your friends, as gifts or something.. no harm in expressing your own creativity

on a side note, i think it's one thing for an artist to be concerned with getting paid for their music, but it's another thing for them (or their estates) to hunt people down for supporting them by making a tshirt with a reference to them? I would think that they would want the memory to live on, or their message to live on as long as possible.. these strict rules really hinder creativity IMO

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if you can get away with printing it and selling it, forgot about that.. maybe an idea just use the face, then underneath 'give it a chance.' and use a med/small peace sign as the period. I would wear a shirt like that, just a shoulder up stencil style face, give it a chance (peace).. I think that would be dope (so if you print one you can send one my way :D )
Interesting idea, although I'm not sure I love the way it looks. Maybe I'll do a whole John Lennon/Peace Sign line :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
if you can get away with printing it and selling it, forgot about that..
I could get away with all sorts of crimes - that doesn't mean I should perform them.

it's another thing for them (or their estates) to hunt people down for supporting them by making a tshirt with a reference to them?
:rolleyes: I'll never understand this mentality. How does it support them? By flooding the streets with shoddy merchandise that makes them look cheap? By losing legitimate sales to weak knock-offs?

At best it does nothing for the property owner. At worst, it can do a lot of harm to the value of their intellectual property.

What gives you the right to make a buck off someone else's work? Do your own damn work!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there,

To be blunt, your graphic lacks somekind of design 'sense'. In terms of how the compositing are done and words are being arranged. Worse of all, you're using iconic visual elements that somehow gives me a feeling of unoriginality. Of course it's your freedom to use it though :)

If u insist on using the graphic you've probably painstakingly prepared or produced, try taking out the TEXT and flip the face horizontally and have small peace logo act as a trademark around the corner of the face image. Umm.. the idea is to bring across the message of the graphic subtlely.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Its not that the musicians are worried about anything :with their face on it.. If you took and picture and you created an image from that, then YOU own that and can reproduce it as much as you want..

HOWEVER, if you took that face GRAPHIC from something that is copyrighted, THERE is your infringement. You can not copyright a face, but you can copy anything creative/intellectual.

So if you got that graphic off of some website, ect.. then you WILL be in trouble and rightfully so.. HOWEVER, if you made the graphic from a picture that YOU took or bought the rights too, then you are the owner of that creation and no one can sue it.

Copyright issues:
I did some research about whether I need copyright permission to use these photos in drawings. The answer is yes and no… BUT since I doubt anything I draw will look “substantially similar” to the original photo (or the person I’m drawing!), I’m probably OK.
Here’s what I learned on a page about copyright rules for illustrators:
Q: What are the rules when it comes to illustrating celebrities?
First of all, if you’re not working from your own photographs or memory, you need to obtain permission from the photographer who created the photo you will be using as reference material. (You do not need to get permission from photographers if you create portraits or caricatures based on dozens of photographs from different sources and you are careful to not to include elements that would make it obvious you copied from a particular photograph.)
Q: Can I use someone else’s photograph as reference material for a painting I’m creating?
If you’re copying a photograph, you must get the photographer’s permission…Even though it’s in a different medium, you’re violating the photographer’s copyright if you copy a photograph in your painting.
BUT….
To constitute a copyright infringement, a “copy” must be “substantially similar” to the original work. If your finished illustration looks different from any of the originals you used as a reference material, you shouldn’t need to obtain permission.

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Even if you take a picture of John Lennon, which of course you can't because he is not around anymore, it would still be illegal to use his likeness on a retail item. Using his likeness is protected.

Here is a excerpt from a law advice forum I found on the matter that explains it better then I can :

The paparazzi cannot use the images of the famous people whose photos they take to advertise a product or a service, without a license from the famous person to use their likeness in this way. You, likewise, could not use these images to advertise a product or service. This is true even if you obtained the photo, and the copyrights in the photo, from the photographer who took the picture. You would still need a license from the famous person to use the photo in a commercial way.

Brad Pitt and others like him, for instance, get paid a lot of money to appear in commercials. These famous people's names and images connected with a product or service often translate into a substantial increase in sales for the manufacturer, so the producer of the product will pay handsomely to use such names and images in their advertising campaigns. Paris Hilton capitalizes off her image by using it to sell her own product line, including tee-shirts with photos of her on the front. And Paul Newman used his name and image to sell his product lines to raise money for charity.

The photographer's can take photos of famous people without a problem because, one, the photos of these famous people are taken out in public where photo-taking is allowed and, two, famous people have given up to a certain extent their right to privacy (although they have not given it all up).

When the photographer takes a photo of a person (famous or not), he owns the copyright to the image, but he does not own the rights to use this image for a commercial purpose, without the permission of the person whose photo he took. In the case of famous people, the photographer can sell his photos to a magazine, which can publish them on the basis of public interest or newsworthiness, and no licenses or releases are needed (for non-famous people, releases should be obtained where possible).

But, neither the photographer nor the magazine can use any of these photos to promote a product or service - ie. a photo of Paris Hilton cannot be used on, say, a box of Wheaties or to advertise a Whole Foods market, without her licensing (and getting paid a lot of money for) the rights to the use. This violates the publicity rights of the famous people.

Famous people's images are valuable and they have the right to market it, and profit off it, however they choose. END

This is by no means legal advice but it is common knowledge that you cannot use a famous persons likeness to profit commercially from no matter how you get the image

Reactions: Tufflaw
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.