T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small Embroidery Business and I also do do quite a bit of Heat Transfers for a couple of customers.
For my sport's customers I do all of the numbering and names and have been buying these from a local company . They just double thier prices to me and that has prompted me to go out and buy my own cutter.
I will only be looking to use the cutter for Numering and lettering on heat transfer Vinyl.
Im sure my wife will want to cut some decals and what not but I will not be making signs or anything like that.

My Question is :
What would be a good mid level cutter for this purpose. it would only be used about a few hours each week so it wont have a lot of demand. Obviously a Roland would be great but Im looking for something about 1/2 the price so I can sped the other 1/2 of the money on supplies and software. There are a few packages on ebay from -$320-$500 that I am researching and a few others online but wanted to see what you experts have to say.
Another question would be strictly for the Heat transfer part of the process.
Other than the Vinyl itself what else is needed to cut a number, weed it, and transfer it?

Thanks and sorry if my questions are remedial or im not using the terminology correct.
Thanks

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hi three6ty,

Check out the Graphtec CE5000-40 15" cutter. It is a professional cutter with an optic eye for contour cutting transfers, Cutting Master 2 software with plug-ins for Illustrator and CorelDraw. It is based on the more expensive CE5000-60 24" cutter. If you check Specialty Graphics Supply's special offer http://www.t-shirtforums.com/view_specialtygraphicsexclusive.htm for forum members in the Preferred Vendors section, you can pick up one for $899.

You will need weeding tools, masking tape, and some other minor tools, I'm sure others will join discussion.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
435 Posts
...Another question would be strictly for the Heat transfer part of the process.
Other than the Vinyl itself what else is needed to cut a number, weed it, and transfer it?

Thanks
To cut athletic lettering, you'll need a software to create the text, the vinyl cutter to cut your design, a weeder to pick the excess material out and a heat press to transfer it over. A Teflon sheet would also be good to have.

Depending on which cutter you choose and who you buy it from, the software and accessories need may come with it.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I would look to the GCC Expert 24. It sells for around $400, and most vendors that sell it package it with software such as Greatcut, which is really good cutter driving software.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
The GCC Bengal may be a nice choice for your needs. However you would need to be sure to buy it from somewhere that includes a software that will easily allow you to create name and numbers. Creating these in Corel or Illustrator can become time consuming.

I would not recommend many of the units under $500 except the GCC Expert 24, but the Bengal would be a step up from that.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I second what Josh said. I have one of the low price cutters and you get what you pay for SW and HW wise. If you can afford it I'd consider one with a contour cutting feature because you will eventually find an opportunity to use it and don't want to have out outsource or buy yet another cutter. I've made that mistake. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts