T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
Wow, I just discovered this site, what a great resource!
I'm looking for vintage style/slim fitting t-shirt blanks, kinda like Americal Apparel style 2001* but perhaps with a bit softer or quality feel.

http://store.americanapparel.ca/2001.html

Anyone know the t-shirt supplier to Junkfood*? Their stuff has a nice feel to it, I would love to get shirt blanks like theirs. I've been looking but can't seem to get any info on this, any help is greatly appreciated!

http://images.google.ca/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&q=junkfood+shirts&btnG=Search

Thanks!
G

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Rodney,
thanks for the reply - I've checked out Alternative Apparel. I've understood them to be a knock off of American Apparel (?)... not sure if this is true but anyhow they have a 1200 minimum for tagless shirts (too many at this point).
I'm still trying to find the Junkfood supplier.. I doubt they'll tell me though!
thanks,
G

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I wouldn't consider AlternativeApparel to be a "knock off" of AmericanApparel at all. They have different styles and the shirts have a much different (softer) feel.

Why not get the shirts with tags and just have them relabeled? The size/care tag is separate from their manufacturers tag, so it wouldn't be too hard to relabel them.

Give them a shot, they may be exactly what you're looking for...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just to clarify to everyone out there; I haven't any direct experience with AlternativeApparel, I had just heard about the knock off thing... I don't mean to slag them at all!

Thanks for the tip, I never thought of that. I was hoping to only have my own tag in there but that might work, especially if they tag the inside seam and not the neck of the garmet... do you know where their label is located?

thanks again -G

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perfect!
Thanks so much - They've got no minimums (for non-tagless orders) so I'll go ahead and get a few samples.
thanks again -G

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
garetlaw said:
I've checked out Alternative Apparel. I've understood them to be a knock off of American Apparel (?)... not sure if this is true
Alternative Apparel: Started in 1996
American Apparel: Started in 1997

So in a word: no.

Their name has ended up as both a blessing and a curse. Now that AA have become bigger 1) Alternative Apparel isn't known as AA (I would say that's actually a relatively serious loss for them), 2) They're considered the "alternative" to AA and to be named as such (rather than simply being a manufacturer of alternative clothes, or a slim-fit alternative to standard box cuts). That's good in terms of picking up customers who don't want to deal with AA, bad in terms of perpetually looking like they're playing second fiddle.

They're not as prominent as AA so their dirty laundry (if they have any) doesn't get aired all over the press. Near as I can tell with what information is available though they're the better of the two companies by a long way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay,

I'm very new to this whole getting blank tee's in bulk thing. If I wanted to get blank vintage slim fit tees on Alt Apparel, with the tags so i have no limit, where on the site would I go?

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Okay,

I'm very new to this whole getting blank tee's in bulk thing. If I wanted to get blank vintage slim fit tees on Alt Apparel, with the tags so i have no limit, where on the site would I go?
Visit the alternativeapparel.com site and click on the Create Account link at the top of their site or visit their "contact us" page and ask them how to setup a wholesale account.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi there,
Wow, I just discovered this site, what a great resource!
I'm looking for vintage style/slim fitting t-shirt blanks, kinda like Americal Apparel style 2001* but perhaps with a bit softer or quality feel.
Did you try American Apparel's Summer T (6401)? It sounds like that may be what you are looking for. Pretty similar to the 2001, but made from a lighter weight material. I really liked them, but be warned that they are cut a bit longer and narrower than the 2001...

Sheer Jersey Short Sleeve Summer T-Shirt - - American Apparel Online Store Canada

·
Registered
12 Posts
i would suggest to also check out eternalapparel.net i noticed them at a clothing exop in Fort Worth a month or so back. Very very nice items.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
What do you need to register? I just wanted a couple of the vintage shirts to try out some designs. Will they sell a few shirts as a sample or do they have a minimum?

-Sebastian
Contact them for that info. Most wholesalers will sell you a sample.

Most wholesalers will require either a tax id or a seller's permit to register with them to get wholesale pricing. This confirms that you are indeed a business and not just a consumer looking for lower pricing.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Great thread. A lot of valuable information. As a wholesale distributor we are an example of many points made here.

1 - We usually display retail prices online so that your customers never get to know how much you pay for the blanks ;)

2 - A tax ID is usually required for the same reason.

3 - There are usually 3 standard price brackets. Sample price, dozen price and case price being the lowest

·
Registered
8 Posts
This sounds paranoid I know, but do you guys know if when, for example, you register with either of the "AA's" to get wholesale pricing, if they have perhaps different ~levels~ of wholesale customers? The wholesale (?) prices I got sure weren't a whole lot cheaper than the retails. I've talked to people who are getting blanks from Mexico or overseas for a fraction of the prices I've been quoted. I'd like to stick with US made tees, but... Other wholesalers won't quote unless you're a screen printer or embroidery place, but I've been told the only way to keep your costs low enough to make a go of it is to get your own tees, not to but from your printer. I'm super new to this world and just trying to learn and get organized.
Any input?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi Sue,
Normally the wholesale prices are the same across the board. At least for most of the respectable and larger distributing companies in the market. Most wholesalers will work with you on a different level once you buy 5,000 pcs or more.

If you are just starting, depending on your initial capital you may choose to a. get your tees from your screen printer b. buy your own tees from a distributor and send the to your screen printer or c. import you own blanks.

In my opinion A and B are very good choices for a start up business. C , importing your own blanks is great but then you are talking larger numbers. A standard container brings 60K + pcs.

As long as you have a tax re-sale certificate most companies are willing to open an account for you. All you need is either a DBA, Corp, LLC etc... and a tax certificate

1 - 20 of 20 Posts