T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent many hours on various message boards and forums over the years. I always spend some time reading and getting the vibe of the messages and over all feel of the group. This forum, in particular, is impressive. I'm always grateful for the information I read here and how freely people share information and tips.

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Rebecca, I'm a single mom of 4 daughters. I'm new to screen printing, but not to tshirt design (not that I've ever made a dollar at it...but I've designed many custom shirts for my family). I've had a plan in the back of my head for years to turn it into a business. I've gone through a lot of living in my life, and as I near 40, I'm tired of waiting and I'm ready to get in gear. Because I live in a pretty rural area, the option to attend classes hasn't been available, and in the off chance it was, *I* wasn't available. About a year ago I started putting voice to my thought...I told people, I put the universe on notice that this was a plan I intended to follow through on. I find that this makes me accountable. I was lucky and came across a Craigslist ad for a guy who was selling his whole setup for less than what I'd budgeted for a startup kit and extras from Ryonet. I took that as a sign that this was going to be a great year, and I've taken steps to start the business.

That being said, as many of you know there's a lot of trial and error in this passion, and I find myself hitting a lot of walls in my pursuit for success. I do not possess a great deal of patience, so this has been a steep learning curve for me. My goal for now is simple...I want to produce my own designs in as eco-friendly way as possible. I have a specific target audience, and I intend to venture out on the local/state festival circuit next year.

So that's it...or that's the beginning. ::waving::

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Welcome!

I concur. This forum is impressively helpful, and even more impressively polite and maybe even ... professional? Well, at least compared to most of the rest of the interwebs. (Uhm, not that I have always been perfect in that regard ... but on here at least I do try.)

What? No screen printing classes in BFE, NC? ;-)

I took a (misaimed) shot at this in my 20s, and am back at it now in my 50s. Lots more life experience, and resources, and the internet have made this go much more productive. Still, as you say, there is a learning curve, and it keeps going on, and on--always more to learn. Keep your mistakes manageable in size, and you'll live to learn from them, but mistakes will be made.

Congratulations on the equipment. That's the way to do it, if one can.

And a specific target audience :)
Already way ahead of the curve.

Enjoy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.