T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I launched my brand over a year ago, Island Jay Caribbean Clothing & Accessoriesmy logo has gone through some changes. Scratch that, many changes. I kindly need opinions on my logo and where I should go.

I started with a basic one color Name and Palm Tree. From there it developed into a full color gradient. Now, I am taking a step back and realizing there is a LOT going on. So much, I cannot get plastisols on it!

Now when I look at other similar brands. Margaritaville, Tommy Bahama, and even big companies, I see their logos are only 1 color, 2 at best. Usually just text and maybe a small icon. Eg, Tommy Baham has the fish.

This tells me my logo is over engineered, to busy with colors, and distracting from the brand. Here is the evolution of my logo below.
Compare to Shop Tommy Bahama or Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville :: Jimmy Buffett Tour Dates, Margaritaville Restaurants, Song Lyrics and more!

Am I off the mark to think my logo is just wrong? Even now I adjusted the logo to just be 2 color text on my site the other day.

· Registered
1,746 Posts
With the current logo I see potential problems printing a small left chest size. The thinner lines could fill in. If you are set on that maybe you could give the palm leaves a border to separate them from the letters in the b&w version.

· Registered
136 Posts
I like number 2 a lot. The changes I would make would be to not have the tree trunks intersect with the letters, instead, have them cut off just above them. Also I would like to see how they look slightly to the left. I like asymmetrical designs more and this would give the outline a more interesting shape. Also, I think you are right about the one or two color version.

· Registered
292 Posts
I like the text with shadow on #1 and the palms on #2. Depending on the look you want, retro, old surfer look, stay with the blended colors. I like to use a more modern color palette. Tired of this look. Try 2 or 3 colors, no gradients. The flat look is more popular these days.

My 4 & 1/2 cents!

· Registered
4,497 Posts
You might try something like this:

- Like #2, but with a bit more space between the words and with the palm trees rooted between the words.
- Make the shirt color do more work for you by inversing the color of part of the design. For example, you could have a partial circle of solid ink (the setting sun), and where that overlapped letters/trees they would be the shirt color.

So a one color design that makes the shirt color do a bit more of the work.

· Registered
3,503 Posts
i like number 1 because the trees aren't involved with the lettering at all, and the drop shadow reminds me of another 'jamaica' brand i know of. sorta like skeleton bones.

just lose it (the stroke and drop shadow) on the small type and bump up the size.

why do you need 2 TM symbols on the same design?

also the kerning is way off.

i'd lose the coconuts just because you want to add the .com.

on my shirts (which i change designs frequently, nothing is set in stone rather as a designer i want to show people different concepts) i do a back nape of neck print with a symbol and the type i.e. www.islandjay's.com following the underside of the symbol. it could be the coconuts, a treasure chest etc.

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i like number 1 because the trees aren't involved with the lettering at all, and the drop shadow reminds me of another 'jamaica' brand i know of. sorta like skeleton bones.

just lose it (the stroke and drop shadow) on the small type and bump up the size.

why do you need 2 TM symbols on the same design?

also the kerning is way off.

i'd lose the coconuts just because you want to add the .com.

on my shirts (which i change designs frequently, nothing is set in stone rather as a designer i want to show people different concepts) i do a back nape of neck print with a symbol and the type i.e. www.islandjay's.com following the underside of the symbol. it could be the coconuts, a treasure chest etc.
Island Jay and Not a Worry in the World are both individual registered trademarks, hence the TM, and what will be an "R" on the next revision.

Kerning should be tighter?
We had a hard time trying to add the .com in there. I know these days it is usually obvious, but I cannot assume everyone knows that.

thanks!

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wife like design two but to make the trees color or do hairline outline to differentiate from text.
She mentioned that the current logo and design 3 uncomfortably close to the Islands Restaurant (Islands Burgers) logo.

Islands Restaurants
I like their logo. Seems like they have a fade version like mine ( Sunset to water ) and a non gradient version.

· Registered
8,278 Posts
I would take #3 remove the bush obstructing the front. Then take that same logo and print as a 1 color with halftones. It would look great and give a single identity to your brand.

if you need help to see that as a preview PM me

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, many of you here and off line have told me putting the palm trees in with the letters is just a bad idea. The "icon" will now be before the text.

I found a font called KARA that I have been playing around with. Tropical feel without going overboard. I had to modify it, so these are all EXTREMELY rough ideas. Feedback appreciated.

Also, what is your thought without the "Not a Worry in the World". That slogan is important to the brand, but it also takes away from the simplicity of the logo a little.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.