T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I was just wondering what kind of machine prints out the 70's style rubery iron on, what kind of machine is it, and how is it transferd to the shirt? I hope everyone knows what I'm talking about.

I did some research and I found stuff like thermal transfer is that it, or heat applied vynl, is that it?

Thanks alot!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Re: The 70's style print rubery like sweaty iron on?

I'm guessing it's a kind of rubberised vinyl?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Yeah thats exactly what it is, and I think but im not sure but I have found answer to my question. Any more input would be greatly apreciated. I have found the Roland PC CAMM seris printers, and the PC-12 which I think now is discontinued I couldn't find a price for i the net, but it looks an oversized desk jet, and it prints on thermal transfer vinyl available at a place that advertises here I might email them and ask them more about it, but do you know what I'm talking about though?

I wonder why people would silkscreen over this, because with the vinyl transfer you can print out a full color photo and just heat press it on. I could do that in my bedroom! I don't know maybe there is a few bumps in the way. i have seen many shirts printed in this way though, and they look great. Im going to research it more and find out everything I can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I have heard of plastisol ink, but I don't think thats it. The transfers I am talking about are definatley printed, because they look just like photgraphs. I think I found the transfer material here:

http://www.imprintables.com/index.cfm/fuseAction/dspCatalogCategory/catID/9/subCatID/8/index.html

That is the stuff I think I need, and one of those high priced printers mentioned. The Roland PC-12 printer would be perfect for me because It's small and cheaper than the others, but I thnk it's discontinued by Roland, because I can't find it anywhere. Or maybe this isn't what I'm looking for, I won't stop searching until I find something.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
353 Posts

They could be litho transfers. Like the kind from the 70's. Very expensive to have made.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Well I know they are not inkjet transfers. The quality of them are way to good, and the feel isn't stiff at all like all injet transfers that I have seen, it's thin and streatchy like a vinyl rubber composite, did anyone check this out:

http://www.imprintables.com/index.cfm/fuseAction/dspCatalogCategory/catID/9/subCatID/8/index.html

I was thinkin this paper could be it, there are two different types used for this type of transfer, there are dye sublimination, and there are wax, I think it said you have to use wax sublimination to heat press to a t shirt, and I'm gonna look more into litho transfers, how expensive are we talking because the shirts above sell for about 18.95USD, I think thats a little pricy for a T but hey if you like it you like, right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

OK they are litho transfers thank you kentphoto! I am looking into the prices right now of having them printed, and i also understand that once they are printed you can just iron them on.

·
Registered
14 Posts

ioasw said:
OK they are litho transfers thank you kentphoto! I am looking into the prices right now of having them printed, and i also understand that once they are printed you can just iron them on.
Hello there, I am new to this biz too and have seen the litho transfers.. They are super cool!! They look great, wash great, etc! I have only seen them sold at one place and they are pretty expensive. http://www.instagraph.com/html/instar_custom_heat_transfers__.html
If you find something cheaper or locate something else, please post.. I would love to hear about it.

Does anyone know the difference between litho and plastisol? I have seen several postings about purchasing plastisol transfers from a company-- does anyone print them themselves? Also-- with the plastisol, does it leave that residue or film like the regular transfers? Do you have to cut them as well?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts

I have seen several postings about purchasing plastisol transfers from a company-- does anyone print them themselves? Also-- with the plastisol, does it leave that residue or film like the regular transfers? Do you have to cut them as well?
You would need screen printing equipment to print plastisol transfers. Most folks don't do it themselves.

With plastisol, it doesn't leave any residue and you don't have to cut them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts