T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow t-shirt lovers. I'm new to the business and would like to know where and who the best screen printers are. Maybe we could use this thread to dump a bunch of links, which i'm sure would be useful to everyone.

cheers

·
Registered
457 Posts
Local might be the way to go in the States, but the Australian screenprinters I have sought quotes from are BLOODY expensive in comparison. So much so, that I am investigating getting prints done in the US! Even including freight costs back to Oz, it appears cheaper than the local screenprinters from my research so far. And the cost of quality blanks is also MUCH cheaper in the States. I believe Aust Customs don't charge duty on internet orders valued at less than $1000, so even sourcing the blanks from the States might be far cheaper than buying them locally.

Any US screenprinters watching on, I'd welcome an email if you want to quote me. Please PM.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Ross B said:
Local might be the way to go in the States, but the Australian screenprinters I have sought quotes from are BLOODY expensive in comparison. So much so, that I am investigating getting prints done in the US!
Have you checked the east coast of Australia? I know of at least one seller in Perth (unless this was you...? :)) who sources their printing from Melbourne, raising the possibility that it's a Perth thing and not an Australian thing.

It doesn't hurt to investigate, but given how strong the printing industry is here I doubt it would be necessary.

Ross B said:
And the cost of quality blanks is also MUCH cheaper in the States.
This is true, but will be affected by what you're after. If you want the cheapest blanks possible, it's potentially cheaper to import. If you want sweatshop free, it costs about the same to buy them locally as to import, and the environmental impact is lessened (i.e. no shipping a product from the other side of the world that can be sourced locally). Even cheap blanks aren't that cheap (relatively speaking) by the time you pay shipping and tax.

(for the record I do, in fact, import most of my blanks from the US - so I'm mentioning this as information, not criticism)

Ross B said:
I believe Aust Customs don't charge duty on internet orders valued at less than $1000
For starters it makes no difference whether it's an internet order, a wholesale purchase order made through a company, an item sent from a friend they didn't mark "gift", etc.

Customs duty can be charged on all imported goods, whatever the value. There's a discretionary limit - below that they don't have to charge import taxes (and they won't), but they always retain the right to. Over the limit they are supposed to charge import duties.

The discretionary limit is different for Australia Post and for couriers - for couriers it is $250, for Australia Post it is $500. In theory if you are over those limits you will be charged import duty. The reality is that this is somewhat randomly enforced - I've known plenty of people to get expensive things sent over (e.g. a two thousand dollar camera lense) and not have to pay duty, and others to get caught out on things just over the limit. I think technically you are supposed to report items yourself and volunteer the tax, but obviously that happens about one time in a million.

I think freight companies are a lot more stringent about enforcing the rules, as they have a lot more to lose. Australia Post are quite lax, and while I don't know for sure I would speculate that's not the case with FedEx, UPS, et al.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Although much of the import tax can be claimed back in tax credits if you're reselling and registered as a business, no?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Solmu

Your comments on import duty are contrary to the Aust Customs website, where they specifically state that the current policy on internet orders is that there shall be no duty payable on goods up to the value of $1000. On what basis do you make your comments?

If you are going by your own experience, then obviously you are correct (in which case, I'm going to contact Customs and take this up with them - they owe it to the public to have their website policy statements up to date and correct). If you are going by heresay, I'd question the validity of the policy as you express it here, but either way, it should be checked directly with the only source that really counts - Aust Customs.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Solmu (again)

Re: "Have you checked the east coast of Australia? I know of at least one seller in Perth (unless this was you...? ) who sources their printing from Melbourne, raising the possibility that it's a Perth thing and not an Australian thing."

Yes, it might have been me. Anyway, I have checked Eastern States printers, and their prices, while better than Perth's, are still way up on what their US counterparts charge. Maybe, though, I don't know the best places. I think I recall you recommending Ounce? I have emailed them, but they are very slack getting back. Just sent them a re-send after 2 weeks without response.

If you can recommend any other Melbourne screenprinters who are good value and quality, I'd be most interested. the Perth companies charge really exhorbitant prices. eg: $12 ea A4 for 20+ digital heat transfers (and this is supposedly a discount price). Screenprints (including Tshirts) of a run of 50 3-colour plus one colour text on back works out at around $20 per male Tshirt and $23 per female. AND their Ts are not quality heavyweights.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Ross B said:
I think I recall you recommending Ounce? I have emailed them, but they are very slack getting back. Just sent them a re-send after 2 weeks without response.
Monkeylantern has recommended them; personally my dealings with Ounce have left me unimpressed.

Ross B said:
the Perth companies charge really exhorbitant prices. eg: $12 ea A4 for 20+ digital heat transfers (and this is supposedly a discount price). Screenprints (including Tshirts) of a run of 50 3-colour plus one colour text on back works out at around $20 per male Tshirt and $23 per female. AND their Ts are not quality heavyweights.
That's crazy... not hard to see why you'd be looking overseas in that case.

I'm afraid I don't have specific recommendations for a printer. I'd suggest at least e-mailing Ounce... but as you've discovered that doesn't seem to actually achieve anything.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
"Physical goods from offshore are, in theory, subject to the same treatment as physical goods imported via any other method. That is, the import provisions of the GST Act apply. This means that GST will be payable by the importer of that good unless it is a good which is GST free in Australia (eg basic food), input taxed, or of insubstantial value (less than $1,000 if imported by post or less than $250 if imported any other way)."

http://www.acs.org.au/act/events/io1999/wills.html

"Imports that do not attract GST include [...] Low value goods on which customs duty is $50 or less and which have a customs value of less than $1,000 (if imported by post) and less than $250 (if imported by sea or air)."

http://www.mq.edu.au/GST/ImptGds.htm

"Goods that qualify for certain customs duty concessions that are also non-taxable for the GST include the following items from Schedule 4 to the Customs Tariff Act 1995: [...] Items 32A and 32B – ‘low-value goods’ on which customs duty or taxes comes to $50 or less and which have a customs value of less than $1000 (for goods imported by post), or less than $250 (for other goods).

http://ato.gov.au/content/downloads/n3124.pdf

See also: Customs Act section 68(1)(e) and
section 68(1)(f)

(the $500 I originally stated was out of date, or perhaps simply inaccurate, information)

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
monkeylantern said:
Although much of the import tax can be claimed back in tax credits if you're reselling and registered as a business, no?
That's correct.

("You pay GST when you import goods. If you are an entity registered for GST, you claim input tax credits on a creditable importation in the Business activity statement you lodge for the tax period in which you pay the GST on that importation." http://ato.gov.au/content/downloads/n3124.pdf)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Solmu said:
Monkeylantern has recommended them; personally my dealings with Ounce have left me unimpressed.

I recommended them 6 months ago. That was prior to a long term dealing. They are a major importer, relabeller, and printer. They are a solid one-stop shop.

However, recent dealings would mean I certianly wouldn't use them as a first choice.

·
Premium Member
27,690 Posts
I agree, rather than posting a list of screen printers, it's more helpful to know what you should look for in a screen printer and try to compare local printers or get quotes from online places by searching Google or Yahoo.

Both Yahoo and dmoz.org have a list of screen printers available, so I'd rather not have one posted here

1 - 16 of 16 Posts