T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone give me a good rundown of the needed equipment and material to get me going on heat transfers? I realize most of the major parts but there are probably small things that a newcomer doesn't realize is needed until he tries to do and finds out. Oh, and right now I am looking at a hobby/home-run business until I can build up demand, so I shouldn't need the top of the line stuff just yet. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
As Judy said, (1) heat press is the most obvious. Hotronix, Hix, and others are good quality but I often read of the cheaper Sunie being a good low cost alternative. For its price, most China press are OK if used with care but not as sturdy. If you want to print your own design then a (2) computer with lots of memory (3) a printer preferably one can print A3 sized paper. If you want to print vinyl then you need a plotter/cutter like robocraft.

For software, a graphics software like Photoshop is best. For materials, essentially heat transfer papers and vinyls.

I would think you have these pretty much covered.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As Judy said, (1) heat press is the most obvious. Hotronix, Hix, and others are good quality but I often read of the cheaper Sunie being a good low cost alternative. For its price, most China press are OK if used with care but not as sturdy. If you want to print your own design then a (2) computer with lots of memory (3) a printer preferably one can print A3 sized paper. If you want to print vinyl then you need a plotter/cutter like robocraft.

For software, a graphics software like Photoshop is best. For materials, essentially heat transfer papers and vinyls.

I would think you have these pretty much covered.
You said if I want to print vinyl I need a cutter, how is vinyl different from normal heat transfer paper? Is it better, or is it all the same and I'm just getting confused? At the moment I'd rather not have to purchase a cutter, though I'm not sure how much they cost.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
You can actually use a manual cutter but depending on the design, it could be painstaking. It will be a very cheap way to test vinyls though. Vinyl are more durable but 1 vinyl is 1 color and 2-3 color prints are possible only with 3 vinyls. I have not tried vinyl myself but I have some samples made with vinyl and have washed test them.

For cutters search google and youtube for vinyl cutters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.