T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips on how to make sure the design on the tshirt is straight and such. My wife has a better eye for it than I do (despite the fact that I'M the artist).

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Put the shirt on the heatpress so that the top of both sides of the collar are barely touching the back tip of the heat press. Then align your transfer paper to be paralell to end of the heatpress that is towards you. (That is if you are using a transfer that is cut in a shape where the bottom is flat). If your transfers are cut into shapes like circles and stars, you will have to eyeball it, or make a template. I suppose you could make a template out of cardboard or something...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jdr8271 said:
Put the shirt on the heatpress so that the top of both sides of the collar are barely touching the back tip of the heat press. Then align your transfer paper to be paralell to end of the heatpress that is towards you. (That is if you are using a transfer that is cut in a shape where the bottom is flat). If your transfers are cut into shapes like circles and stars, you will have to eyeball it, or make a template. I suppose you could make a template out of cardboard or something...
I really like the template idea. I may have to work with that. That would be a great way to idiot-proof it (or at least me-proof it). LOL Thanks.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You will be a master at this in no time :)

I have my press on a stand, it sits on some heat proof wood (i forget what it's called). I have made some marks in the centre on each side with permanent marker. It shows through the t-shirt. I use that as a guide when lining up. It was quite useful when I sublimated. Nowadays the heat transfer paper I use has a grid on the backing, which makes linking up so much easier.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Yeah, the best way is just getting used to it over time. As Adam mentioned, Magic Jet paper has a grid on the back to help you line it up as well.

Another things that might help is folding the t-shirt in half, then pressing a small crease in it (only press it for like 1/2 second; I just pull the press down and back up without fully closing it). Then you can use this line to help line it up on the press... you can also put a tiny crease in the middle of the transfer paper and line up both creases.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hello,
When I imprint t-shirts I use my fingers to gauge the position down from the bottom of the collar (three fingers) If you pre-press your shirt for three seconds(which you should) then when you lay your fingers on the tee you can make a mark with your finger so you will know this is the top of the transfer.

Most t-shirts from factory have a crease line in them so you can align them on your press. If you are imprinting a crest in the heart area, use the three fingers down from the bottom of the collar (this marks to top of the crest) and three fingers in from the crease line (this marks the left side of the crest).

Now depending who makes your shirt, you may have to look closely to see the line. According to my manufacturer, they say the center crease line is standard on all t-shirts made.

Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts