T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an easy, hopefully cheap, program that can convert a scanned image to line art. I have recently gotten a request from the local police to print thier patch on shirts. I need to scan the patch and turn it into what I call a line art image so I can make a stencil.

I'm not interested in half tones. I want to save it as a vector file for future use. It just troubles me to have to pay a graphic artist to do it for me.

Any ideas?? Freeware, shareware, or commercial.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thom,

If the image is not too detailed I'll do it for you. I need the practise. Just PM me the image file. It will take me a few days. I have some shirts to do for my sons bday peeps and his party this weekend but I'll get to it for you.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Adobe Illustrator has a feature called live trace (Illustrator>Objects>Live Trace) ... its pretty good. You can download a 30 day demo from Adobe's website (Adobe - Downloads). All you have to do is scan the image (at least 300 dpi) and place it into Abobe Illustrator and play with the results. There are also some excellent free videos online that will help with that process. Good luck to you! :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi. You can also do this in Photoshop with a free plugin called zero line art.

I looked on Google searching for, "zero line art+photoshop plugin" (and many other variations of this) and couldn't find a thing on this, would you happen to have a link to a web site that we could see?

Thanks Will,

Randy

·
Registered
360 Posts
Might help you more if I'd spelt it right Randy :(

Xero Graphics : Photoshop Plugins

There are free photoshop plugins there.

Ohhh, that could be why... :D

Thanks Will, I appreciate the link, I still didn't see anything like what I thought you mentioned earlier, (Xero Line Art) maybe I need to wake up more though. ;)
Maybe the guy's discontinued it.

EDIT*

I found it, I guess I was asleep! heheh
I thought it was vector stuff though, but it appears to be just line art, kind'a like you said. :D
I still will play with it though, some of these (even freebies) can do stuff that other things in Photoshop can't.

Thanks Will!

Randy

·
Registered
20 Posts
We purchased ImagaroZ but was not happy with the results - recently I used the LiveTrace in Illustrator CS3 and was very satisfied with the output - they even provide you with a link to a video in their help section.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use Illustrator CS2 and the auto trace is great! you have to play with the tracing options to get things right and it helps if you have a clean black and white image to begin with. Photoshop CS2 will let you export paths to Illustrator also. Make sure it is set for fills rather than strokes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts