T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed recently that there are a lot of t-shirt shops that print their designs in "limited editions". They print a certain number of shirts in that design (say, 100) and once they sell out of them, they don't reprint.

Has anyone here ever done this? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
peeps decide to make X amount of prints and thats it.
one good example are those old vinyl 12" funky color records (red color ex.) that record companies would make to help promote the artist when they released the normal recods in black color.

This attracts attention and the collectors market.

When one of these limited edition releases does HIT BIG in demand. Their value sky rockits $$$$.

...one more thingee !

Limited Edition could sorta mean Deleted or discountinued too, since they are no longer in print and that was that.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Companies like Bape, Stussy and the Hundreds do this often. Bape for example is famous for it and charge close to $100 per shirt.

The pros:
People constantly check your web site for new releases.

You are widely talked about once your brand is established.

You sell out of each design faster.

The cons:

Basically building that brand to the point where people will even care about whether you make 1 or 100. You may have to sit on a few designs at first and just keep cranking them out untill something pops off.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
The other obvious con is that you have to be able to constantly innovate: if you're not bringing out new designs, you've got nothing to sell. If you can pull that off, it means your brand is constantly fresh (which will attract a lot of favour), but it's not easy.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey, Jasonda

I do this with my clothing collection... I even included a registerable serial number and certificate of authenticity... Pro's are for a start up, I dont get as much sales as if I were selling my shirts for a lesser price. People will definitely buy the line if it's "exclusive prints" . I had to create two lines actually my high society line that can be purchased at dept stores and my high end "Royal Blood" line that can be purchased from select boutiques and through our online store. You just have to give them options... But, if your brand is definitely high-end its always good to have a few "limited edition" Threads. If someone wants to buy something from my Royal Blood line I go as far as doing a background check and financial check to make sure they are up to par with what my line represents since it is a Lifestyle Brand. I've made alot of 1 time pieces for celebs and a-listers that will never be produced again. Like a black trackjacket with my Bel Heir Crest Version 1 on the back which is currently by one of the girls from MTV's Laguna Beach which she purchased for $500 bucks. I even put black diamonds on one of my shirts which is a one time thing owned by Kevin Federline which he pad $240 for. There's alot of pro's and con's. My advice make sure you have the market that will buy it at the pricepoint you are asking for. Just remember you're not going to be making as much profit as something you could sell for a lesser price and available to everyone. Hope that helps! I wish you the best and keeping on checking out this forum for more information. I learned a ton off of it and now I try my best to give back!

Cheers

Jasonda said:
I have noticed recently that there are a lot of t-shirt shops that print their designs in "limited editions". They print a certain number of shirts in that design (say, 100) and once they sell out of them, they don't reprint.

Has anyone here ever done this? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am just getting into the limited editions tee market myself. The downside that I'm dealing with at the moment is having to have my own tees manufactured.

That was something that I didn't plan on doing when I started but I refuse to put out a line with out a quality tee. Unfortunately, I have to make them myself.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
hi lawaughn,

there has to be something out there that you may be able to use at start-up.

A friend that makes one of a kind shirts/designs " limited edition ", what he does is visit all kinds of places and uses their shirt styles/fabrics etc. as a starting point for whatever shirt concept design he has in mind to make.

Keep looking because a simple re-label could save you time/money and the additional expansion from t-shirt designer to blank t-shirt manufacturer. That will involve a lot more work and supervision.

...just a last minute thought.

·
Registered
50 Posts
BelHeirClothing said:
Hey, Jasonda

I've made alot of 1 time pieces for celebs and a-listers that will never be produced again. Like a black trackjacket with my Bel Heir Crest Version 1 on the back which is currently by one of the girls from MTV's Laguna Beach which she purchased for $500 bucks. I even put black diamonds on one of my shirts which is a one time thing owned by Kevin Federline which he pad $240 for. There's alot of pro's and con's.

Cheers

How do you get hi-profile celebs like that to purchase your clothes? It's almost impossible to access celebs these days, and even if you see them, how did you get them to acknowledge your presence?

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
How do you get hi-profile celebs like that to purchase your clothes? It's almost impossible to access celebs these days, and even if you see them, how did you get them to acknowledge your presence?
I'm pretty sure BelHeir has an "in" down there. I can't remember the connection (I think it was a family connection)?

·
Registered
117 Posts
alphadatabase said:
I guess Rodney has the right word for what your looking for. For me it really has been a blessing with the right cards in life. I also went to the same private school as Paris Hilton so it wasn't hard to get anyone to look my way. But for some advice, check up on myspace my friend SherSher from FunkyFlashBack apparel got famous people to wear her stuff by just messaging them on myspace... ofcourse you're gonna have to sift through the fakes and the real ones.. another thing is look up boutiques... and not just around hollywood.. Cause no one famous really lives in Hollywood. research all the beach communities and melrose boutiques... Pick up magazines like People Mag and see where the celebs shop then you approach the boutiques where they shop. Like Kitson, or M.Fredrics... Even Paris's friend Kimberly Kardashian own's a boutique in Calabasas... Its mainly research! I've pushed as much of my brand without having to use the family name but people have found me n asked me bout my brand. Its the way you sell yourself too, remember their are a ton of t-shirt companies out there that want in. You've got rep yourself in the most prestine way possible. And it doesnt' hurt to have the same publicist as the kids of Laguna Beach either... but they're no celebs to me.. more like d-listers at best... hope this helps cheers

·
Registered
117 Posts
alphadatabase said:
Thanks alot Bel Heir! It seems like yo are doing big things over on the west coast!! Let us know how the Hamptons party goes.

Thanks,
GC
ThANKS! Yah I will I just arrived in South Hamptons and I'm still on LA time! I'll let you know how it goes this weekend... Here's a limited edition jacket actually one of a kind that is currently owned by that MTV Laguna Beach Girl

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
thanks Rodney,

I could do the upload thing... just was not sure how to past it on the page like the others do. Figured it out though. I like the HTTP better.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Jasonda said:
Has anyone here ever done this? Thanks.
its done a lot.

when an artist decides to put out a limited number is because he/she wants people that truly appreciate the work to buy it. Thats why you dont find them at Bi-Way.

....you know what i mean about bi-way dont you. Bwahahahah :)

for you people outside of Canada, Bi-Way was a Low end store, they chaged their name now to $Dollarama$.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts