T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So have a job on 100% Cotton Lime Green PC150. Print has white and purple in it.

Just curious what you more experience DTG'ers would do:

Is Lime considered light color? looks light to me.
Would you underbase it? The purple is dark so I was thinking no.

My thinking is use light PT no underbase.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I did some test printing with whatever I had on hand, which was a couple of youth Orange.

I am all firebird inks
1st from the left - IA Light PT, 720 UB, 1440Color
2nd from the left - Firebird Dark PT, 1440 UB, 1440 Color
3rd from the left - IA Light PT, NO UB, 1440 Color 2 passes
4th from the left - IA Light PT, 720 UB, 720 Color

One thing I noticed was when printing no underbase with Firebird the IA light just doesnt seem to react with the FB white. The 3rd one looks fine, the white just doesn't look as good as it does when using the Dark PT.

I have not tried the Firebird Light Pretreat as of yet as I have not had any white in my non dark prints.

Any one have any input. Anyone (Firebird Ken) used the Firebird Light? How well does it print white on light garments.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
metalbone,

nice post. great test.
Here's the deal with our PT;
FB Dark PT is for use with white ink. Performs exceptionally well with our FB ink and very well with "other" CMYK on dark garments.
Our Light PT does not have any White ink binders. Therefore does not work well with white ink on "light' color shirts. It does do a great job with CMYK and extended washability on lights.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ken

I would love to test your new stuff. You guys should have my info already.

So basically if we are printing with white regardless of color of the shirt we should use the dark formula. This makes sense from what I was seeing, I just to this point had not even thought of using dark on light shirts.

Out of curious what would you consider the orange shirt. To me it seems right on the border of dark and light, i would probably consider it dark personally.

Thanks for the post ken

Sent from my iPad using TShirtForums app

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes. Anytime you are printing with white ink, you need to use our Dark PT.

However, BE CAREFUL. I have seen different results from different shirts using any PT that has white binders in it.
Some shirts will stain lightly, some will stain badly. Others will not stain at all. For those that stain lightly, I have sprayed them with hydrogen peroxide immediately after heat pressing and noticing the stain. I get it wet with Hydrogen Peroxide and let it sit until dry. Seems to remove or seriously reduce the stain.

I will definitely send you some PT. Can't wait to see your test results.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ken,

You can email me off board with any specifics david at metalbone dot com

Well I have to start the Lime run tonight. Gotta love the rush order (they pay through the nose). I have to do some testing first though. Lime green with a purple and white logo geez.

The issue I saw with the orange was the purple was to dark with out the underbase, I am hoping this will be different with the lime as its a lighter color. I really don't want to do an underbase on this run.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Unfortunately, to get the colors you are looking for against any other background other than white, you will need to have an underbase.
DTG inks are very transparent and will change appearance when printed against anything other than white. It really does not matter how many passes you make. You just can't build up enough ink to get the colors you would expect.
I have printed on tans and lighter grays that give the illusion of getting "close". But to obtain the colors you see on screen, you need a white background to cary the proper color.

k

·
Registered
363 Posts
After reading this I learned something new about the staining. I will try the peroxide.
Just a heads up, there is a color coded file you can print that will show you what colors will look like on a given material.
PM me and I will e mail it to you.
I use It by printing it on a shirt the color I'm going to use. Then I will look at the numbers on the colors that show up exactly how I want them to look on the shirt and make the changes in photoshop. It looks funny on the screen but when it prints the colors come out as expected. That's not to say it will look near *** good as having an underbase, but if they are not high end shirts then save your ink and pretreatment for a day that you do print the high end stuff

Sent from my SM-G900V using T-Shirt Forums

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.