T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have looked around and I have a good feeling that its all going to come back to "Ask a Lawyer" but I would like to see if anyone else has ran into this before I pay for legal aid. I have a design I created but the whole design centers around the profile of a crayon (the design does NOT contain the words "Crayon" or "Crayola"). Just the basic shape. My question is can the profile be copyrighted???? thank you for your input.

· Registered
6,595 Posts
Technically, the shape of a product can be protected as a "trade dress." This can include the body style of a car, shape of a soda bottle or cell phone, etc. I don't know if the product needs a distinct element to qualify for a trade dress, so you would have to research it to find out if a crayon is eligible. As long as there are no marks that associate your design with Crayola, I would think using the shape of a crayon is ok. But obviously, it's best to seek legal advice to make sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.