T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When using an Epson with Durabrite inks what shirt colors are considered light and what colors are dark aside from the obvious reds, navy blues, black.

When would I need to switch papers?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Colorfast said:
When using an Epson with Durabrite inks what shirt colors are considered light and what colors are dark aside from the obvious reds, navy blues, black.

When would I need to switch papers?
Personally, I only print on white and light ash; the "wax window" tends to show through on darker colors. However, you should still have decent luck with light yellow, natural, or very light blues. Your best bet is to try a sample (and wash it) and see if it fits your quality standards.

Incidentally, we actually had someone that really LIKED the paper showing through on a test light green shirt we did; said it made it look like the design was glowing or something. Most people won't though ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Twinge said:
Personally, I only print on white and light ash; the "wax window" tends to show through on darker colors. However, you should still have decent luck with light yellow, natural, or very light blues. Your best bet is to try a sample (and wash it) and see if it fits your quality standards. ;)
White and Light Gray/Ash is basically what I was thinking. Does the dark/opaque paper you use have a "wax window" outline on it? Can a black, navy or red be done with a professional finish?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lou...thanks for the pic of your work. I have been in the printing industry for several years and noticed the outline around the images right away but my wife did not notice until I emphasized to look close. Did you sell this work or was it a test? If you sold it did your customer notice the outline or does it show just show more in the pic due to angle/light reflection?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Colorfast said:
White and Light Gray/Ash is basically what I was thinking. Does the dark/opaque paper you use have a "wax window" outline on it? Can a black, navy or red be done with a professional finish?
I don't personally use opaque papers at all, as I do not like the feel and lower quality. Some people have decent luck with them though, and some customers/markets even like that rubbery feel.

Opaque papers will never have any sort of wax window as such - they transfer the entire paper, include the white background excess. you'll generally have to trim out the design completely to avoid transfering the 'white' over.

For doing a professional job on dark shirts with a heat press, I'd suggest looking at plastisol transfers or getting a vinyl cutter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts