T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, your screen images are formed by exposure to light. I think that Express screen system doesn't need a darkroom. But we won't call that screen printing. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, your screen images are formed by exposure to light. I think that Express screen system doesn't need a darkroom. But we won't call that screen printing. :)
I don't use the Express Screen system, or the Yudu or whatever. I have an electric screen exposure unit. So, when I'm getting ready to expose my screens----it's supposed to be done in a darkroom? I knew that I needed to avoid light sources, but didn't realize I had to have an actual darkroom for prepping the screens. :confused:

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I don't use the Express Screen system, or the Yudu or whatever. I have an electric screen exposure unit. So, when I'm getting ready to expose my screens----it's supposed to be done in a darkroom? I knew that I needed to avoid light sources, but didn't realize I had to have an actual darkroom for prepping the screens. :confused:
You would just need to keep your emulsion away from "exposing" light. So you could make your screens at night...or just use a safe light. Also they make blockout film that you could put on your windows. It is just a lot easier to have a room that you know is light safe...not necessarily dark.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
why is the bug light that I got from Ryonet more red/orange than the one that I got from the grocery store? - that is yellow... :confused:

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
You want to be sure not to get a bug light that is fluorescent bulb....that won't work.
The Ryonet bulb may be an actual photo safe bulb, instead of a bug light.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Celtic said:
You want to be sure not to get a bug light that is fluorescent bulb....that won't work.
The Ryonet bulb may be an actual photo safe bulb, instead of a bug light.
It said bug light on the box

Sent from my iPhone using TShirtForums

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, Can I use a 2W White LED lamp (no UV/IR) in the "emulsion phase" and in the "washing the un-exposed emulsion or making stencil phase"?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
It's only UV light that will expose emulsion, and it takes quite a bit. Direct sunlight will fully expose a screen in about one minute. A non UV fluorescent light would take hours (I'm guessing...I've never actually tried this.) You don't need a darkroom the way you do for photographic film, because emulsion is much less light sensitive than film.

Just a dimly lit room or corner of your shop will work fine as a screen coating and exposing area. If you live in a humid area where it takes longer to dry the screens, you'll want to keep them in the dark while they dry, but it doesn't need to be pitch black, just a room with the lights turned off. After the emulsion dries, either expose the screens or put them away in a dark place (I cover mine with a piece of black cloth until I'm ready to expose.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
What about CFL yellow bulbs? The glass looks a little lighter than the incandescent bulb I got in my starter kit. I have recently been having trouble getting my images to washout after burning them. My garage is nearly free of outside light, however I do emulsion coating and drying overnight. I've narrowed the problem to possibly the CFL overhead (exposing the screen after coating or before burning when it's on), old emulsion, or just missing my time marks completely.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Rands0911 -
Usually in this situation the first culprit is old emulsion. If stored in a cool place like a mini fridge, you can keep it for about a month or more. If it's just stored in your shop, it would only last a couple of weeks, even less during the summer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts