T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to go about designing a t-shirt with a design from a web-page. I have a friend who owns is own shop, and I would like to do a sample shirt with his logo that is on his webpage and hopefully if he likes it he will carry it in his store with us splitting the profits. I do not want to share my concept with him because I never made a t-shirt in my life and would like to have the finish product before I approach him in case it does not come out right I will not look like a fool.

I would be grateful for any help.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for reply. I would not do something risky, remember I said that we are friends is logo is not worth much to anyone but him and maybe a few people that buy from him I would probably be lucky if he gave me an order of ten, and if he did not like it my sample would become a nightie because it would be nothing that the general public would want one of.

Comin'OutSwingin said:
Risky proposition. I wouldn't suggest doing it without their knowledge.

·
2,957 Posts
starprince said:
I do not want to share my concept with him because I never made a t-shirt in my life and would like to have the finish product before I approach him in case it does not come out right I will not look like a fool.

I would be grateful for any help.
I think the fact that you are friends should ease your worries about looking like a fool to him if it doesn't come out right. Maybe if you let him in on it, he could have some input, you two could do it together, then if it didn't come out right, you both would be responsible and can go back to the drawing board together.

On the other hand, if you do it without his knowledge and it turns out well, maybe he will just see what you did as under-handed and trying to make a buck at his expense behind his back. How would he know if you made any money from stealing his logo and making shirts with it or not. Especially if you can steal his logo without his permission and say "look what I did!"

Use your friendship as and advantage. Let him know what you plan to do. If you truly are friends, that's the best thing to do.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
He'd probably have the high res or vector images you'd need too. You can't just print up a jpeg ripped from his site.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Working with your friend should also save you money in art charges. Using artwork downloaded from a website is low quality and is going to need cleaning up.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The above advise is all good starprince. It is also the easiest way to try and make some shirts for your friend. First I would let your friend in on what you want to try. Be honest and let your friend know that you are learning this and if it all goes well, maybe some shirts can be sold in the shop. What does your friend have to lose by trying it? Then, make sure that your friend actually has the rights to his or her logo. Make sure that your friend did not just borrow an image from someone else on the web. That happens a lot.

If your friend has that logo printed on anything else in his or her shop, then most likely there is already some artwork done up for it in a format you can use.

Vector artwork is the best for this usually. See if your friend has the .ai or .eps file on hand. That would be great for you. If your friend had the logo designed by a graphic designer and did not purchase or obtain the rights to own the vector file itself, then you could try to get the artwork from the designer, or recreate the artwork yourself. It is very common for a graphic designer to retain the rights to the actual artwork file.

Since you are going to be using transfers to make these shirts, all you really need is a reasonably high resolution picture of the logo that is large enough and clear enough to be printed at the size you need.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I have a rep back east and he asked me to do a few logos and designs off the web of some of his clients. At a gift show he had one of the bags (tote) hanging up and the owner of one of the the stores saw it and said she did not remember seeing that tote bag in her store.. He told her he had me do several sample bags to show what I could do for his costomers should they like what they saw. She liked them and bought 36 pieces.. Remember to tell you customers if you do this that it is not being offered for sale to anyone else and if they wish they could have the sample. When I go to an area here in california I make samples of the tees and bags with the name of the area I am going to. The results have been sales.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your information. Rodney I just e-mailed them hopefully they can help me. To anyone else who feels like I am trying to do something wrong it is not like that at all. I am too old to go to jail and too broke to be sued I would not put myself in such a suitation but thank you for your advice and concern.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
To anyone else who feels like I am trying to do something wrong it is not like that at all.
I think the title of your topic "lifiting a logo from a website" probably helped trigger a lot of those feelings. From the start, it sounded like even you thought you were stealing (lifting).

I'm sure you have the best intentions, but just be aware that when you use someone else's logo/trademark/copyright/intellectual property on merchandise for sale without their permission, you are opening yourself up for issues.

Maybe you should perfect your t-shirt making procedure and quality control, and then ask him for a high resolution copy of his logo and propose your idea. If you do it without his permission, he may think you are trying something shady (even though you are friends).

I have to admit that I didn't realize that you didn't have his permission when I first read your message. I read it as he was not technical enough to have a high res copy of his logo so you guys could print t-shirts together.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts