T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I was wondering if anyone has ever sold rights to their T-shirt design(s) to an established maker/distributor with a royalties stipulation. I have heard this would be easier than trying to silkscreen my own shirts and sell them on my own. If so, how did it work out for you? Also, is there a way to find companies who are looking for new designs to sell? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
I have heard this would be easier than trying to silkscreen my own shirts and sell them on my own
It's easier on the pocketbook, but harder to actually find companies willing to purchase the rights to a logo.

The best way I've heard of is to attend the various imprinted sportswear tradeshows where many national and international buyers attend to find the hottest new designs.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Depends on exactly what you're looking for. I can potentially sell your designs if you want me to (and I like the designs)... mostly online sales, though I haven't quite launched the website yet (We will very soon). Basically the plan I have in place for selling other folk's designs is they get a percentage of the profits from every sale of that shirt for a set time period (I'm thinking 4 months), though I can work out other deals too, such as free shirts instead, etc.

You might also consider one of the fulfilment services, but then you still need to set up and advertise the online shop yourself. If you want to sell them in physical stores, you'll encounter a bit more difficulty; this has been discussed here some in the past, search back for the thread about that.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Depends on exactly what you're looking for. I can potentially sell your designs if you want me to (and I like the designs)
I think the original poster was talking about selling to actual retail brick and mortar stores or established t-shirt companies to use in their existing product line.

That's usually how licensing works. The company licensing the design pays you a licensing or royalty fee based upon how they will use the design (how many times it will be printed, what type of products it will be printed on, etc).

I don't think they were looking for a listing on a website or using a fulfillment company.

It's not easy to get your foot in the door of retail stores and distribution/licensing deals, but it can be done. In fact, my next door neighbor runs a pretty sucessful surfwear t-shirt company.

There are also "licensing agents" that will help market your design or brand (for a fee) if they feel it has selling potential.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You were correct Rodney...I am interested in finding an established company to license a Trade Marked design from me. You gave me some good information and I appeciate your help.

Stacie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts