T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone -

I am new to this site and this is my first post. I have heard this site can very helpful and I was hoping someone would be able to give me some answers, and maybe I will be able to give others some answers down the road. Here is my question...

I am starting a on-line t-shirt company and I am already registered in Michigan and have a FEIN. My partner lives in Illinois and we are currently planning on using his apartment as our office. We are going to be doing all shipping and receiving through his apartment in Chicago. What permits do we need to buy wholesale? Do we need a Chicago business license even though we are an online company, just because we will be receiving/shipping there? I was told we need a Reseller's Permit, but I can't find anything on it. It always takes me to a business license.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
828 Posts
wherever your company's address is is where you would need to get your licensing from i would assume..
Some people set up PO Boxes when they run businesses out of homes/apartments so that the business looks more professional and also so that people can't "drop by" unannounced.

your business license might be you resellers permit/license/certificate... IF you go to a distributor that requires a resellers check to see what they are asking for on their application.. it might just ask for your business license..
I am in the process of setting up my business license finally and I was wondering the same. I'm in NJ and kept doing research on NJ reseller's information and it just sent me to NJ business license sites..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Im in Washington state and my resellers permit and my business lic. is two different forms. As I filled out my business lic. it asked me if I was reselling and they took my info that was on my business lic. and made me a resellers permit and when I paid for the business lic. I paid for the permit at the same time. In Washington everything has to be registered to location of business, not of mailing address. In the forms for your business lic. it does ask you if you have a different mailing address then your place of business. Think about if taxes are cheap in oregon but not in washington then i just set of a P.O. box in oregon and register everything there, but do business in Washington. Thats illegal. Im not saying thats what your doing Im just giving a example of why you cant do it. When you enter in your business address I believe theres a spot to check to keep your place of business private and to only show your P.O. Box. And a heads up if your in a Apt. check your lease to make sure you can legally opperate out of your apt. and if you cant. Dont tell anyone lol. I work out of my apt also

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I believe you can register your company in any state you want if you do not have a physical location ie. warehouse, office, or store. All of our sales will be online. I am thinking that we need to get the reseller's permit in Michigan, since that is where we will be paying taxes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Im in WI and all I had to do was go to my state government website....got my EIN (employer ID#) for free...which you already have....and fill out a form and submit for my seller's permit. It only cost $20.

So, check with your state website. Google something like "IL seller's permit"

Once you get your sellers permit, you'll register with the wholesales website and fax them a copy of your seller's permit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.