T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would I go about acquiring a license and how do we factor in the profit, etc. Many people will say NOT to sell band merch, but I'd be selling grindcore, brutal death metal and the more extreme variants of music that don't get much merch. I've always wanted some shirts of the bands I loved, but could never get any. I do not just want to buy already made band t shirts, but I want to DESIGN, print and sell them. I'd also like to sell cds.

·
Registered
62 Posts
hey..

you need to agree with the band to liscence the rights to reproduce their work, their 'brand'.

you'd then need to agree a percentage royalties they will get from the sales. these are then usualy paid every quarter but this could vary, its a factor that will be negotiable in the contract. royalties are usualy 10-20% roughly for something like this (again this would need to be negotiated). theres alot more to it but thats the basics.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Go to the band's website and find the contact info. If they have contact info for their manager or representative, that's even better, since they will probably be in charge of merchandising anyway. Call and ask about licensing opportunities. Expect to pay upfront licensing fees plus royalties. You should also have sourcing, production and distribution channels in place. No one is going to want to license their brand to a company who doesn't have proven success.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Go to the band's website and find the contact info. If they have contact info for their manager or representative, that's even better, since they will probably be in charge of merchandising anyway. Call and ask about licensing opportunities. Expect to pay upfront licensing fees plus royalties. You should also have sourcing, production and distribution channels in place. No one is going to want to license their brand to a company who doesn't have proven success.
i've never done this, but im just interested what sort of figures the upfront licence fee would be?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i've never done this, but im just interested what sort of figures the upfront licence fee would be?

me too :) This isn't something I plan to get into right away. If I can sell steady, then I'll get into it. I just want to support the music i love.

Another question. How the hell do you find wholesale cds? Is that even possible when it comes to death metal, grindcore, etc.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Depends on the popularity of the band. I've never worked with bands, my experience has been in sports licensing. NFL charges $100,000 up front, while MLB, NBA and NHL are in the $30,000-50,000 range. For underground bands that the OP is referring to, maybe $5,000-10,000? If it's less, that could be a good deal. If it's more, I would question if enough volume can be done to justify. It also depends on whether the bands sells their own merch at events. If they do, it just splits sales with the licensee. Beware of that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depends on the popularity of the band. I've never worked with bands, my experience has been in sports licensing. NFL charges $100,000 up front, while MLB, NBA and NHL are in the $30,000-50,000 range. For underground bands that the OP is referring to, maybe $5,000-10,000? If it's less, that could be a good deal. If it's more, I would question if enough volume can be done to justify. It also depends on whether the bands sells their own merch at events. If they do, it just splits sales with the licensee. Beware of that.
I hardly doubt any of these bands would would charge 5-10 thousand. I'm sure plenty of the grindcore bands would do it for free. The underground scene works completely different then mainstream music.

Do you think I should contact record labels and ask if they will sell wholesale so I can distribute? Because I see that as my only option in obtaining these cds.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Another question. How the hell do you find wholesale cds? Is that even possible when it comes to death metal, grindcore, etc.
with death metal, grind bands your best hitting up the lables say your a distro or something if they can't help you they'll point you somewhere..

keep in mind cd format really is dying a quick death.. if you really wana deal in these sort of bands id think about getting second hand cd's and reselling them. plenty of people are just chucking boxes of cd's out in the trash, im sure they jump at being given a couple of dollar for them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I hardly doubt any of these bands would would charge 5-10 thousand. I'm sure plenty of the grindcore bands would do it for free. The underground scene works completely different then mainstream music.

Do you think I should contact record labels and ask if they will sell wholesale so I can distribute? Because I see that as my only option in obtaining these cds.
your right with this.. i'd personaly just offer them higher royalties instead of upfront cash. but do the math.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Anyone who hands over their intellectual property for free is an idiot. Find those people right away and sign up deals ASAP. If you're working directly with the band, perhaps they are dumb enough to do this. But anyone working with a manager or rep will demand a fee, and rightfully so. If it's less than 5-10 thou, that's great. But it's always good to "expect" more, then be pleasantly surprised when it's less.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
with death metal, grind bands your best hitting up the lables say your a distro or something if they can't help you they'll point you somewhere..

keep in mind cd format really is dying a quick death.. if you really wana deal in these sort of bands id think about getting second hand cd's and reselling them. plenty of people are just chucking boxes of cd's out in the trash, im sure they jump at being given a couple of dollar for them.

The underground scene is more about collecting cds and vinyls. cds are very cheap, 8 to 10 dollars. Not 20 dollars like mainstream bands.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
vinyl is a collectors item yes, cd's arn't.

that's what i reckon and i've seen carcass..
Believe me... In the metal and punk scene, cds are collectors items. They aren't mass produced so they become very rare. To you, they might not be worth anything, but to a fan or a collector of metal cds, they are.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts