T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering building a site to sell t-shirts for a month or two now.
I would like it to supplement my curren income, but I'm afraid that the market is just too saturated.

Can any of you reveal your monthly proffit from selling t-shirts online? I understand it's a touchy subject, and probably inappropriate to ask, but I'm having a hard time making that first step.

jhorner

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I won't tell you my monthly profit, but if your concerned about laying out cash to start, try starting your site with cafepress for a few months.

Profits in the t-shirt industry can vary drastically from company to company. Many of the people who post on this forum have been in the industry for years, and have a well established customer base. If you are just starting out, you should expect business to be slow at the start, and grow gradually. How much money you make will be determined by how many people you can get to see your site (search engines, link exchanges, etc.) and how good your designs are. Getting people to see your site can be hard when you are just starting out, so a newcomer to the business may not get that many orders at the start. The good news though is that if you do things right, over time you can make a huge amount of money in the t-shirt business. If you have a couple of successfull online stores running, you could potentially make 5 or 6 figuires.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Can any of you reveal your monthly proffit from selling t-shirts online? I understand it's a touchy subject, and probably inappropriate to ask, but I'm having a hard time making that first step
What one person or company makes is NO indicator of what you can or can't make.

Some make zero and some make thousands a month. Some make even more (some lose money).

The market for t-shirts has always been saturated and the internet has just saturated it even more. However, new t-shirt shops open all the time with new and original t-shirt designs and I still see designs that make me pull out my credit card after almost 10 years of buying and selling tees online (and I've seen a LOT of shirts).

So if you're planning on selling the same old designs, then you're right, it's probably too saturated. However, if you have fresh and original designs, then you will be the only one out there with your designs and saturation won't be an issue :)

In order to make sales (in a saturated or unsaturated market) you have to be able to get the word out about your designs. That means you'll need to advertise, market, and make sure your designs are getting in front or your target market's eyes.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Hi Jhorner,

When you say you want to sell t-shirts online, are you going to print them yourself, have others do it, etc?

Are you just going to offer your own designs or are you using licensed artwork?

If you are going to print them yourself, do you plan to offer custom work where you might attract commercial business?

If possible, try to explain a bit more about what you are going to sell, artwork, etc...

The more we know, the better we will be able to understand your goals to sell.

Yes. Most will not discuss their sales. Me? I've been sub printing since '87, finally went online in '96 and in addition to custom printing t's and such, I also have a vinyl printer/cutter. Right now I do mostly wholesale for dealers and the only retail I do is for model railroaders and other hobbies.

I have found that over the years my interest has shifted from printing to helping others actually do shirts by teaching them thru cd's and such.

It took many years to actually make a profit online but once the reputation was established, then things got better. These days it's very hard to convince someone to part with their hard earned money to a n internet business where the site is new, not up to par, etc.

Not saying it's impossible to make a nice income, just takes time, outstanding artwork, great product selection, service and pricing.

Sorry to drag this on but if you would, let us know a bit more about your goal.

Fred

1 - 4 of 4 Posts