T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok..so i want to start a t shirt business...selling my own brand of designs of t shirts mainly online(maybe in stores later)...first thing i need to know...do i need a company?or can i just go about printing the T's(i want to have my own label on them too) and sell them online..what are the procedures that i need to go through...i have a partner in malaysia...say if i were to need to create a company should i register it here in the states or malaysia?thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Having a company depends how big you want to be..... It may not be needed now but down the line you may need it. Register in the states, and get trademark.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do i go about registering and trademarking?..what are the cost involve....im trying to get a long term and shrt term budget now....so need help on the cost.tahnks

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
manufacturer2006 said:
Having a company depends how big you want to be..... It may not be needed now but down the line you may need it.
I disagree. It really depends on what state you live in and how much your business makes during the year. If you make a certain amount during the year, depending on what state you live in, then you MUST register your business with your state so that they can collect sales tax. So I would recommend registering with your state.

kriss2fer said:
How do i go about registering and trademarking?..what are the cost involve....im trying to get a long term and shrt term budget now....so need help on the cost.tahnks
One of the steps you would need to take are getting an EIN (employer identification number), aka Tax ID number. This is free. You can apply over the phone, and they will issue it to you over the phone. Here is a link to the irs website for some info.

Registering with your state will involve a little cost. How much depends on your state, and the costs vary by state. I would think that most would be under $100, though. So you will have to check with your state on that. Check out this list of state secretary websites. Find your state, click it, and it should take you to the info you need for registering your business with your state.

As for trademarking, this will cost you between $275 and $375, depending upon your method of filing. You can find all of the info you need about it on the USPTO website (United States Patent and Trademark Office). If you don't know much about it, I would suggest having an attorney file this for you. There fee will include the trademark filing fee. Attorney's fees will vary greatly, but you should be able to find one that will handle this for you for somwhere between $700-$1000. Otherwise, I would suggest learning all that you can about it, then do it yourself.

Good luck to you!;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts