T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 18 years of designing shirts for everything from nationwide concert tours to elementary school bookfairs, literally thousands of shirt designs... I thought it'd be fun to read what other people are doing and saying in the tshirt design world. Seems Autotrace is a hot topic.... yuk. Drawing from scratch is still my way, I'm insanely fast, and the art I create is cleaner and more ready for modifying. That's my soapbox. LEARN TO DRAW. I spend ZERO time cleaning up pixels, erasing, pushing and pulling vector handles. That's just me. Live and let live. Carpe dieum. Cheers. Rick

·
Registered
359 Posts
LOL! If it were only that simple. First, YOU have talent! :) Second, a lot of us here are service providers. We do print on demand direct to garment fulfillment. Others provide screen printing services, embroidery, etc. As a service provider, we get art from everyone in many different formats and qualities.

The different technologies require different formats, as well. DTG printing uses rasterized art, while screens typically use vectorized art. In addition, the process of printing digitally on dark garments requires underbasing that anti-aliasing often messes up.

So...I WISH--WE WISH--everyone was like you. The time we spend on the phone getting art prepared for the best possible print can be "expensive".

Cheers and welcome!

·
Registered
87 Posts
After 18 years of designing shirts for everything from nationwide concert tours to elementary school bookfairs, literally thousands of shirt designs... I thought it'd be fun to read what other people are doing and saying in the tshirt design world. Seems Autotrace is a hot topic.... yuk. Drawing from scratch is still my way, I'm insanely fast, and the art I create is cleaner and more ready for modifying. That's my soapbox. LEARN TO DRAW. I spend ZERO time cleaning up pixels, erasing, pushing and pulling vector handles. That's just me. Live and let live. Carpe dieum. Cheers. Rick
do you work for a company or yourself?

Do you do jobs for other screen printers?

any samples?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I work for myself, have for all but 5 of the last 26 years (one trip in the corporate world was enough). I don't currently have as much silk-screen work as I used to, for 12 years I did all the artwork for a local printer that got so busy he had to hire two full time inhouse guys to replace me. I still do artwork for 2 printers in Canada, 4 local, 1 Hawaii, 2 in Australia, and several other U.S. companies I got thru Elance (80% of work from Elance is logo design, the rest illustration work).

I'm attaching some samples, but I have no idea what I should include... I've done so many pieces of artwork it's hard to know what is worth sharing....

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts