T-Shirt Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a short background, in the United States there are currently 14 states that have adopted policies allowing the use of medical marijuana. Medical users of these states however still face the potential threat of federal prosecution, as federal law overrides state law. In my life experience, 75-85% of the people you run into these days, have either tried marijuana, currently use marijuana, or feel that adults should be allowed personal use of marijuana. In this country, tobacco contributes to 1 in 5 deaths and alcohol can be held responsible for more than 35,000 deaths a year, both of which are advertised heavily, and the use of which is encouraged on many facets. Someone possessing marijuana is stripped of their constitutional right to own a firearm, in fact being punished drastically for doing so, in most cases facing a mandatory minimum sentence of 5 years or more.
I feel that this law needs changing, as I feel that the quote "majority" in this country does as well. We need to stop fighting a war on our own people. Currently, there are around 37,000 people in prison and jail for marijuana crimes, the majority of which are non-violent offenders, many of which are first time offenders, meaning that they had no prior criminal history. Many of these people have families and children whom they have been stripped away from. Not only are we prosecuting the very people who make up the fabric of this country, but we are taking time away from law-enforcement officers being able to really do their jobs, responding to assaults, robberies, and other violent/victim crimes, which are currently punished at a much lower severity than drug offenses, even marijuana offenses.

I feel that T-Shirts are a great way to get this cause some face time with the people of the United States, and a great way to reduce the "shock factor" and "taboo" associated with marijuana policy, and could potentially help encourage those who feel that the laws sending otherwise law abiding responsible citizens to jail and prison, to get out and actively participate in changing things for the better in our country.
I think that it would be a great idea to either A)pool the creative talent that frequents this site into a collaborated "legalize it" t shirt design, free of rights, for open use to get the message out, or B) to have a thread dedicated to designs that people put up for free-use utility for the same effect.
Post your design or add your facts, or just let me know what you think about it please!
I know there are bound to be a few "nay sayers" which is completely fine by me, everyone is CERTAINLY entitled to his/her opinion, but please do not flame without an explanation of the reason(s) behind your position.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Put the bong down. What makes you think a pool of creative talent on this forum are going to get together and agree on a design to give away so that this army of "heads" you envision will form up wearing shirts with the design to "get the message out?" The message is out. Most people don't care, and most of the creative talent aren't interested in giving away their time to argue with other "creatives" over what design is best. The only ones who are likely interested in your proposal are probably sparking one up, or have their faces buried in a bag of Doritos.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'll be honest I'm totally against legalizing it.. I work in a hospital full time and u know how many deaths I have seen due to drunk driving, how many families I have seen torn apart buy alchol addiction... Now I'll have to worry about high pot heads driving irratic and killing alot more people .. Just like when the drunk drivers kill people they cry and say sorry I didn't mean it or they say why me!!! It alters there mental status to the point of recklessness and now we going to add 40,000 a year deaths due to pot induced intoxication killings... It's rediculous... Sorry about the spelling .. Albie

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies so far.

I must admit I am pretty shocked by the replies being so negative, though I understand alot of people come here in a business sense so of course they would be more likely to withhold personal beliefs. I'm not too surprised at the rather stereotypical comments about laziness and doritos, it simply shows that you have little experience with marijuana users, which is completely fine and not necessarily a negative factor of your character. Many people who choose to use marijuana are top scholars of our schools, and very productive individuals in the workplace and their own lives. The "bad apples" and image that has been pitched so hard on them certainly prevails though.

I haven't consumed marijuana for over 6 months now, so thank you for the put the bong down comment.:)

To the reply of working in a hospital and seeing alcohol related deaths, there have been studies of the effects of alcohol vs marijuana on drivers that showed inconclusive evidence that marijuana effects drivers in a negative way, in fact showing that they make more calculated driving decisions and err on the side of safety. In addition to that, I am certainly in no way shape or form advocating public use, or use during vehicle operation. The problem is that people using marijuana for personal use in their own homes, not in public, are prosecuted and incarcerated exponentially longer than someone arrested for DUI and other VIOLENT VICTIM crimes. Do you know how long someone who is arrested for DUI typically spends in jail? For the first offense, a night, and for subsequent offenses maybe two weeks until the judge grants them probation and schedules a 'class' so they "dont do it again".

To the "its illegal so lets focus our time on something more productive" comment: Many things in this country have been illegal and changed due to the will and wants of "it's" people. In my experience I have seen many lives ruined by a system that punishes unfairly and disproportionately. Any truthfully speaking person must admit and know that our jail and prison systems are not "rehabilitating" nor do they afford the offender of "fixing their life" once they are released. The problem is that MANY people do in fact use marijuana and that they are punished while someone who is charged with multiple DUIS or assault, even with a firearm, are let go back into society in a moments time.

I felt that this forum was filled with many "liberal" "freethinking" people who would be willing to get together and stop the prosecution of completely acceptable members of our society. Apparently I may be incorrect. I believe that there are plenty of very talented individuals out there willing to donate their time to help this cause. When I say getting it out there I mean publicizing true democratic motions regarding it, historically voting on the issue has been rather covert and non publicized.

I respect you all as I asked for replies with causes behind those replies and you gave them. Thanks again!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I see you have alot of negative feedback and i'd like to support you.

and back you up with personal experience with driving while high. (FYI, i Did not do this on purpose.) I was a very safe driver and performed all driving techniques safely and perfectly.

If i drink and i very seldom do (about twice a year, i feel that alcohol is very unhealthy and unsatisfying) I do not dare touch my car keys.

We "pot heads" are not "reckless" if anything we are safer drivers. I also have never heard of high driving accidents. but heard countless testimonials about driving high; not one accident.

And addiction abie? Ive smoked marijuana and only when I have it and have time (not alot). havent done it for about four months. and not a single craving.

In the past ive smoked enough that if it was even a little addictive, i would have been addicted to it by now.

It hurts to know that people are making judgements and assumptions even before they have real facts.

and t shirts i think there are lots of those on the market though. at least where i live. Were you thinking of anything specific?

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Well, frankly it's been almost 30 years since I took a swat at the bong, and I was never much of a user anyway other than if someone was passing a joint around at a party. And I'm not a fan of criminalizing people who smoke a little privately. I'm acquainted with a few who do, and it doesn't concern me at all. Compared with how things were in the 60's and 70's, marijuana use is looked at as relatively benign. Cops aren't interested in even doing up the paperwork for someone caught with a roach in the ashtray of his car, unless they've been stopped for something else. On the other hand, there's legitimate concern about implied approval through legalization of another stimulant/depressant/mind-altering substance with the issues we already have with alcohol, cigarettes and prescription drugs. And as for stereotypes, your presumption that since, as screenprinters, we're all likely liberal (pony-tailed hipsters?) is as erroneous as categorizing the occasional marijuana user as a dim-witted slacker, sparking one up, or with his face in a bag of Doritos.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Lol I'll make my judgement I think the little kid who got run over 2 years ago while he was riding a bike as the high driver in a car thought he saw the devil and swerved his car hit the kid and killed him I'll never forget as the cops were talking to him in the er he started to cry and couldn't believe this was hApening to him... Or the lady who tested positive for weed slammed into the back of a parked car flipped her Lexus over and she was so messed up it cut one of her ears off.. All she worried about was her diamond earing that was missing.. Different people react to pot differently .. Some people are mild and in a catatonic stage but I have seen sone go crazy and need be restrained and only test positive for pot.. If u smoke it of course you want it legal it will be easier for u to obtain it and less a worry of a cop arresting u for it... I'm not gonna add to this post anymore because it's going nowhere those who smoke it will disagree with me those who don't will be against it....

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
While I do understand how many view getting high as not a big deal, on the other hand very few people that have serious drug problems didn't first smoke pot.

That said I think I remember something when I signed up about no political threads. This feels more political than it does about making shirts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
While I do understand how many view getting high as not a big deal, on the other hand very few people that have serious drug problems didn't first smoke pot.

That said I think I remember something when I signed up about no political threads. This feels more political than it does about making shirts.
meh, political or not I'm way to busy to colabo but sounds like it could be fun.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
I feel that this law needs changing

Tshirtforums is a forum dedicated to the education and shared interest of "tshirts", not a political arena. Surely there is a forum on the net that deals with these issues, dedicated to the same cause you feel aligned with. I suggest you seek out those forums to group with those like minded and willed in this area. Thank you.

I feel that T-Shirts are a great way to get this cause some face time with the people of the United States, .....
I think that it would be a great idea to .... creative talent that frequents this site into a collaborated "legalize it" t shirt design ....
Tshirts are a great way to get a message out. That is basically at the core of this forum, for what would a blank tshirt "need" a forum like this for. But at TSF, other members are doing this same exact thing in "their'' world.

I encourage you to pursue your interests by either creating your own design that reflects your interest and drive to make others aware of your opinion, or if you do not have the skills to do so, hire a graphic designer/artist to bring your vision to life.

I know there are bound to be a few "nay sayers" which is completely fine by me, everyone is CERTAINLY entitled to his/her opinion, but please do not flame without an explanation of the reason(s) behind your position.
This topic of discussion is discouraged. Again, the forum is not a political arena.

On the other hand, if you need help creating a design in a software program, or finding a person who can create the design "for" you, there are sections of the forum provided for those purposes, as "this" is the actual purpose of the forum. To learn about Tshirts, creating them, marketing them, discussing all things "tshirt" related.

I hope this makes sense. If not, please feel free to send me a PM on the matter, and I can explain further.

Thank you, Kelly

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts

Agreed, as you can see from my above post, this is correct.

Thread note:

Anytime a member sees a post or thread that is not a good fit for "this" forum, or against forum rules, please, with many thanks, feel free to hit the "Report Bad Post" button.

This sends the post(s) in for review, and allows the moderation team to keep the forum threads on track, and on topic to the purpose of "this" forum.

Thank you very much for your help. :)
Kelly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.