T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first post..

I recently decided to offer custom embroidery via my (small) business which in turn has increased cash flow significantly. I am now getting orders from franchise restaurants (Dairy Queen), and other small businesses with managers wanting custom fleece coats with their logo and name embroidered. If I were to create/sell these coats (lets assume Dairy Queen) with their logo and employee name, even with the manager's approval, could I potentially run into copyright issues? I usually either digitize the logo myself, or use already recreated ones from sites like: DAIRY QUEEN 2006 LOGO VECTOR (AI EPS) | HD ICON - RESOURCES FOR WEB DESIGNERS

Thanks in advance! I have already learned so much from these forums.

· Registered
1,746 Posts
That can sometimes be tricky. We have done many jobs over the last 15 years (with the first 11 years being strictly a promotional marketing company) putting business logos on products. We usually have the person sign off that they as a representative of the company has permission to have the company logo reproduced on merchandise. While this probably wouldn't protect us in a court of law if it was a company like Harley Davidson it mostly serves to make someone who may not actually work for a company think twice about what they are doing.

When I mentioned tricky what I am referring to is the fact that some companies such as Harley Davidson don't want just anyone reproducing their logo. At least not without the vendor jumping through hoops and paying out the nose for the privilege.

· Registered
897 Posts
It really depends on the Corporation and their rules on the use of their logos.

Some will allow you to embroider or print the logo on shirts that are for their franchise owners. Some will allow this only if you use corporate approved artwork files and pantone colors. And others, like Harley Davidson will not allow their own dealers to use the Harley logo or shield on anything that is not provided by the Harley Davidson Corporate office.

The best thing to do is either get the franchise owner to provide you with a letter from the corporate office or call them yourself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.