T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it legal or illegal to use a google image for a tshirt band?

for example i wanted to put a stack of money image on a tshirt i was designing. i found a money image on google and i wanted to know is it legal to use this image on a tshirt.
d
please give me your advice and feedback.

· Registered
8,073 Posts
this will depend entirely on the image...is it royalty free...that can be used commercially? where did you find it....if on the net..check out the site you found it..then do inquiry. A royalty free image means you can use freely for personal use...you may not use for commercial usage..it all depends on the EULA

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this will depend entirely on the image...is it royalty free...that can be used commercially? where did you find it....if on the net..check out the site you found it..then do inquiry. A royalty free image means you can use freely for personal use...you may not use for commercial usage..it all depends on the EULA
i found the image on google. and it said "Images may be subject to copyright." do that mean i can't use it?

· Registered
37 Posts
is it legal or illegal to use a google image for a tshirt band?

for example i wanted to put a stack of money image on a tshirt i was designing. i found a money image on google and i wanted to know is it legal to use this image on a tshirt.
d
please give me your advice and feedback.
Contrary to popular opinion most images you find on the net are copywrited. Don't buy trouble for yourself. Get your graphic from a public domain site (just google public domian images) or purchase it from one of the stock photo sites. Just check the licence restrictions. Many don't allow commercial use.

· Registered
6,595 Posts
i found the image on google. and it said "Images may be subject to copyright." do that mean i can't use it?
Technically, you can use it if you want. But you would be committing copyright infringement, which can get you sued if the copyright owner finds out.

This is going to be the case for many images you find on Google. Your best bet is to specifically search "public domain images" and images that are "free for commercial use." Or you can pay for images.

And just a quick note on public domain images:
When an image is released to the public domain, it means that the copyright owner has given up their exclusive rights to the image. But when using it for commercial purposes, you still need to research the content of the image and consider any Trademark or Right of Publicity issues.

· Registered
708 Posts
There are sites out there that specifically have art that's free for use. You still have to double-check to make sure it's free for commercial use, not personal. I don't know which ones are currently the good ones, but beware of viruses. If you have to install something and not just download images, don't do it without quadruple-checking if the site is legitimate.

Grabbing random images off of Google just isn't a good idea, especially for commercial products.

· Registered
95 Posts
when you search for images with Google, it will take you to the site the image was found on. you can usually get information there. If the site you found it on isn't an image site but a regular website, you can use TinEye Reverse Image Search to research the image. Once you find the original, you should be able to determine if it is for sale, or free to use, or what is needed to get permission to use it.

As mentioned already, best bet is to search image sites where the licensing is spelled out.

· Registered
85 Posts
yeah...google is only a search engine. all it does is show you results from different websites that happen to contain whatever it is you searched for. its only by clicking on the picture or link and going to the website that you will get copyright info on the picture.

· Registered
6,848 Posts
its only by clicking on the picture or link and going to the website that you will get copyright info on the picture.
Not very often do you find image copyright information on a website.....That does not mean it is not copyright because every image is as soon as is created....Unless there is specific verbiage that allows you to use an image, you probably can not...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.