T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm interested to know if anyone has been successfully been using LED lighting panels to burn screens, I'm looking to build an exposure unit for larger screens (39 "x 52") and the hydroponic LED arrays tick some really good boxes.

Instant on/off
Blue bulbs outputting 430 - 470 nanometers
Configurable footprint (via custom bulb lenses) .
Very long life
Emits very little heat
Cheap to run

As an example a panel of 576 1W LED bulbs at 600w is equivalent to a 2660 Watt Metal Halide, these retail at about a 1000 usd.

The cost for me is tripled from Metal Halide but it would be a much easier setup and if it stacks up should last well.

The biggest concern I have is the light bleed on fine halftones, it's not a one point light source and being a key variable is going to make all the difference.

Grateful for any advice, insights or experiences with this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok great,

I was hoping it would be in the ball park as some reading on light sources suggests that 330-440 is where it should be and with my limited knowledge, 430nm LED's seemed close to that.

I obviously have a lot to learn but I will do some more homework and see if it is possible to find a better fit.

Thanks Dave. That's very helpful!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LED as a one point exposure source could well have a bright future but currently they are just not powerful enough for this type of industrial use.

For small screens, one of those cheap LED grow units might do the job well and if anyone tries one please post time, distance, emulsion, bulbs used etc.

The high end UV LED's are priced at about 90 quid each so expensive for testing purposes.

The candle power forums is the place to go for LED information.

LED's will get there and will be great for the job, one day...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Largest Singles: LED High Power Ultraviolet 10 Watt 365 nm, and for quality they are $181usd each but they are certainly very impressive. 10 of these together would be great to see in action. They are very small so the line of what is still single point is somewhat blurred. I think there would also be heat problems (causing diodes to fail) at that level so still a ways to go yet.

I found a 3kw pulse MH to use so abandoned for the moment, but will be watching with interest what becomes of UV-A LED's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts