T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using Illustrator c2, I'm trying to cut athletic numbers to make a 2 color layer with about a 1/4 inch outline for the 2nd color. What is the easiest way to design where it will cut. I've done one with a heavier stroke, but it doesn't cut. I'm sure there is a proper way to design it where it will cut. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!
Glenn

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Two ways to do this, one is a simple inline or outline, the pic on the left. The pic on the right is a font with an outline uncombined and then color filled.

Convert text to outlines, paths, or objects depending on your software and you will be able to do either method.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Layered outlines are one of the reasons I own Flexi. Sure, you can do it in Illustrator, but it's ridiculously easy in FlexiSign. Effects > Outlines > (choose thickness, offset, corner style, and color) > Done!
You can outline text without converting the text to outlines and then make changes to the font or completely retype your text and your outline will automatically adapt to your changes. This is one of the areas where Flexi is head and shoulders above the rest (and this is coming from someone who absolutely adores Adobe's programs).

That said, Illustrator's Extrude & Bevel (Effects > 3D > Extrude & Bevel) is a quick way to apply an inline which will work fine with most block text.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've done one with a heavier stroke, but it doesn't cut. I'm sure there is a proper way to design it where it will cut.Glenn
The reason why a Heavier line is not working it's because it is still a line, you must expand the appearance, every single object, font, or even strokes need to be expanded in order to proceed with the cut. Once you set up your lines with the thickness you like, select it and then go to "Object" tab, click in Expand or Expand Appearance and voila!.

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Layered outlines are one of the reasons I own Flexi. Sure, you can do it in Illustrator, but it's ridiculously easy in FlexiSign. Effects > Outlines > (choose thickness, offset, corner style, and color) > Done!
You can outline text without converting the text to outlines and then make changes to the font or completely retype your text and your outline will automatically adapt to your changes. This is one of the areas where Flexi is head and shoulders above the rest (and this is coming from someone who absolutely adores Adobe's programs).

That said, Illustrator's Extrude & Bevel (Effects > 3D > Extrude & Bevel) is a quick way to apply an inline which will work fine with most block text.

I actually used Flexi for my example. The inline took 3 seconds to complete. I agree its a killer sign program but many folks dont have it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I need the Flexi or something. Corel seems easier than Illustrator.
I'm still not clear on how to setup the numbers. Do I actually have two numbers laying on top of each other? or is there a method to make an outline/inline of it and make a cut on each one. With two colors, I'll have to change vinyl anyway.
I just haven't figured out how to make it smaller or larger and keep it in proportion. Making it a smaller font, just doesn't work.

I did the object/expand and I can make it cut, but I just can't design the second cut.
Still confused... but that doesn't take much!
Thanks,
GC

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
You are going to cut two layers of vinyl and overlay them. In Corel you will go to Effects...Contour. In the contour window check inside or outside which ever you prefer, steps 1 and the size you want in the other box and hit apply. You can then sep the objects by break curve or keep them as curve and cut based on color.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts