T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just took the two day screen printing class from Lawson in Atlanta. It was really good. They take a maximum of 12 people per class, but this month only six signed up and one was a no show. So since there were only five people we got a lot of time to play on the equipment and do stuff. The teacher was an older woman who has been in the industry for 35 years. She taught us the cheapest ways to get started, which I liked. We used a t-square for registration and a simple garden hose for wash out and reclaiming.

Whenever someone mentioned a product from another brand, she would tell us that Lawson's product was better. But she never tried to tell us we needed more expensive equipment than you really need to get the job done.

The Lawson presses and exposure units are really bad ***. I think there vacuum exposure units are among the cheapest and you don't even have to latch them. You just lower the lid and turn the timer.

Also the class is $300, but they give you $300 credit towards merchandise. I got there hobby package, which gives you about 600 worth of supplies, a flash dryer, and a hobby grade 1 color press and halogen light stand. That gives me the ability to start making simple one color stuff. I'm going to the SGIA show, so I can see all the different presses and may start buying bigger stuff then.

They also have a one day Corel Draw Graphics class in Atlanta and some more advance classes that they only give in St. Louis.

I have Adobe Illustrator right now. If I buy Corel Draw at some time, I'll probably take there graphics class.

I don't know what they charge for their main manual press, they act really secretive about prices and don't hardly publish anything. But they have steel rollers that insure the screen hits the same spot each time. The micro registration is super nice, but your clamp the screens on the sides with two clamps on each side. So everything is super solid. There are modular from 4/1 to 6/6.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts