T-Shirt Forums banner

Laser Printer to Start

5K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Lnfortun 
#1 ·
Hey guys.

Can anyone recommend a laser printer to start with a budget of about £500 on a printer. I have heard Oki being talked about a lot of here but what model?

Cheers.

#11 ·
It's "more economical" than a laser. It really depends what you intend to do. For $180.00 you can get this Epson 7510 Epson WorkForce WF 7510 Inkjet All In One Printer Copier Scanner Fax by Office Depot - Inkjet that prints 13x19 and scans 11x17. Closest laser to that would be a C831n Oki for about $1600.00. It prints 11x17. You can shop around but for standard transfer printing (non - dyesub) the majority looks like Epson for inkjet and OKI for laser.

CalhTech>

#20 ·
I picked up my Oki 831n from Rakuten for a final price of about $1100 shipped.
No one else came close to that price. Compatible toner cartridges are not available
most places yet. I have yet to try it with transfers.They are on the way.The demo
print on plain paper looks great!

#21 ·
Try Colortoner.com where I buy my compatible toner. One member I told about the vendor had a newer model that did not have compatible toner available in their website. So he contacted the vendor and asked what is available for his printer. The vendor accommodated toner cartridge, replacement chip and refill toner for his printer. He said no issues with the materials. "He is happy camper". He said everything was bargain price. You might want to do the same.

#22 ·
I tried ColorToner,but they said they are waiting for chips on the C831. They also don't have cartridges yet.
The said they would let me know when they get these. I would think the toner itself would be the same as
the 610 printers use. The 831 has a higher capacity,10,000 pages.
Do you know if the starter cartridges can be filled to that,or is the chamber smaller?

#23 · (Edited)
I am not sure. Besides since there is a cheap that keeps tab of how much the toner is used and what is the capacity of the cartridge, I am speculating that when those numbers are met the cartridge is rendered unusable unless the chip is reset or replaced. Ask Colortoner.com if that is possible. They are the expert.

Unlike my old C5200Ne I can reset every counter to zero. Cartridge, drum, belt and fuser which is very nice. The cartridges and drums do not have chips. The chamber of the starter cartridge is the same as the high capacity unit. The cartridge was just partially filled. Even if it keeps coming up with low toner fault I will just refill if it is really low and if not keep resetting the counters. Had I known that the counters can be reset I would have kept the starter units and refilled them instead of buying new units. I did not find out how to do it online before I gone through two sets of cartridges and drums.

If I were you I would definitely ask Colortoner.com. That way you don't have to buy new cartridges if it is doable. Does it say how many prints per cartridge? It is rated at 5% like text not full page so it will run out before you know it.

#24 ·
The starter cartridges are 2500 pages.Full ones are 10,000 pages. I do know you can buy chips for the toner and drums on the internet. I would most likely have ColorToner refill the toner,and install new chips. I have another laser that i use for all normal printing. It is a Brother,great printer but most transfer papers say not to use it.
I don't plan on doing a large amount of laser transfers. Most of my work is done in vinyl and plastisol transfers.
Every now and then I need a photo.An inkjet would clog sitting unused,so I am going to try a laser.

#25 ·
I agree about the inkjet printer I have trashed 4 large and small footprint printers. So I don't use inkjet printer anymore. I should have not have bought those printers because I have my laser before buying them. But they are so darn cheap refurbished at Epsonstore.com. I thought I would use at least one of them to make a DIY direct to garment printer. I wound up using them for heat transfer. The big printer for printing on CD and DVR for the CorelDRAW macro plug in that I sell. They all had very few use then bam clog. I put up with purging for a while until the clog became stubborn. Wasted lots of ink purging every 3 days so ink don't dry out while sitting idle. That did not help. The big printer just quit recognizing the ink cartridges:mad:. I guess the saying "You get what you paid for" or "Garbage in garbage out" or "You buy cheap you get cheap" or something like that are so true:D.:(

#26 ·
This is the exact reason why I want a laser printer. My epson constantly clogging and I just gave up fixing them damn clogs. I too have a brother laser which I used for everyday usages and it's great. I'm looking at the oki 831 for the tabloid size printing as well, I would need that size for my purpose. What laser paper you recommend for light garments. I have a vinyl cutter and use Plasitols transfers for darks

#27 ·
Members are happy with Oki 831n. Jeepers94 got a good price at Rakuten.com. The website represent several vendors that undersells everybody. Check the website if it is still with the price Jeepers94 got. You can also Check Provantage.com, Amazon.com and Tigerdirect.com. Go to vendors that would back the product after the sale. That is very important. I just purchased 2 64gig SD cards from Rakuten for $13.99 a piece. I received them today. One adapter did not work. So I emailed the vendor and immediately I got a call. I was told the replacement is on its way. That's what I call service. One member who is really happy with the Oki 831n is Opron. He uses white toner with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.