T-Shirt Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just to throw this in there, 3-phase is less expensive to run than single phase as a rule, but other factors may affect your decision of course.

Steve

·
Registered
43 Posts
Over the years, when purchasing dryers, we were always told that 3 phase was a little less expensive to run by folks who knew a lot more than we did, but I'm always open to new info. We've had a few all electric dryers, but eventually switched to all gas, much less expensive. We've always been in a commercial situation though, never residential. There are various writings out there to dispute you, but they don't apply to the OP issues I don't think. Perhaps it's best with the heavier industrial motors and heat applications. The blower motor on our Interchange MD-8 is wired 3 phase, but our ancient Cincinnati Demon (35 years old, all infrared) uses 3 phase for the heat, but taps a single leg to run the belt. I'm sure going to miss figuring this stuff out when I retire.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Over the years, when purchasing dryers, we were always told that 3 phase was a little less expensive to run by folks who knew a lot more than we did
People talking nonsense is common. Also people often misunderstand things.

our ancient Cincinnati Demon (35 years old, all infrared) uses 3 phase for the heat, but taps a single leg to run the belt.
Whenever possible single phase is preferable (less complexity), but here is a basic idea of how things work.
a) The electricity grid is 3-phase.
b) You can use all 3-phases (400v) with 4 wires, or just one of the three phases (220v each) which is just 2 wires.

The US system is a bit unusual because each phase is split in 2 parts locally, resulting in 3 wires and the 220v/110v options.

Note: In all cases there is also an additional ground wire

·
Registered
43 Posts
People talking nonsense is common. Also people often misunderstanding things they don't understand.

Whenever possible single phase is preferable (less complexity), but here is a basic idea of how things work.
a) The electricity grid is 3-phase.
b) You can use all 3-phases (400v) with 4 wires, or just one of the three phases (220v each) which is just 2 wires.

The US system is a bit unusual because each phase is split in 2 parts locally, resulting in 3 wires and the 220v/110v options.

Note: In all cases there is also an additional ground wire
People talking crap is quite common, I agree. The people we've worked have all been pros though, with one them being the head maintenance person for Avery Dennison, you may have heard of them. What he didn't know, he knew where to find out, a great source, so you can see why I found him credible. Either way, thanks for the conversation. I'm just now, at the ripe age of 69, studying electronics so I can dabble in my guitar amps after I retire, and yes, I'm very aware of the deadly dangers inside an amp's electrolytic capacitors. Enjoy your day Tabob.

Steve

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hello TABOB,

The electrician came to my house Wednesday July 7th. He's going to email me a quote hopefully soon.

I'm not sure if you can answer this but what do you think would be a good price to have the electrician rewire the heat press. I mean what do you think i should be expecting to pay to have this done. My wife thinking its going to be over $2000. I told her I can get a new single phase 31x39 press for $2600

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I'm not sure if you can answer this but what do you think would be a good price to have the electrician rewire the heat press. I mean what do you think i should be expecting to pay to have this done.
I wouldn't pay more than $200 and maybe another $100 for parts.

My wife thinking its going to be over $2000.
I wouldn't be surprised... but that would be an agency price.
You just have to ask around and find the right people (no third party involved).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I wouldn't pay more than $200 and maybe another $100 for parts.

I wouldn't be surprised... but that would be an agency price.
You just have to ask around and find the right people (no third party involved).
Ok Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
TABOB,

I want to let you know and anyone that have commented on this post. I have appointment set for August 6th to have the heat press wired to 1 phase and other electrical work i need done. I will let everyone know how things turn out after its all done.

Thanks

21 - 29 of 29 Posts