T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm in need of a large heat press for sublimating on doormats and baby blankets. Can someone tell me if a 31"x39" 220V, 50Hz, 1P, 30A heat press can be install on a house power grid with a 220v circuit breaker? I'm waiting to hear back from a few electricians. Here is the picture of the press im looking to buy. Thanks

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Yes, that is the same sort of circuit used for your kitchen stove/oven and your clothes dryer (if it is electric). If your shop is in your garage along with your laundry (as is mine), then you might save yourself the wiring by just plugging in either the press or the dryer according to what you need to use at the time.

As to adding the new circuit, only potential hangup would be if your service couldn't handle the additional load (which has to assume that you might be cooking diner while doing laundry and using your heat press all at the same time).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, that is the same sort of circuit used for your kitchen stove/oven and your clothes dryer (if it is electric). If your shop is in your garage along with your laundry (as is mine), then you might save yourself the wiring by just plugging in either the press or the dryer according to what you need to use at the time.

As to adding the new circuit, only potential hangup would be if your service couldn't handle the additional load (which has to assume that you might be cooking diner while doing laundry and using your heat press all at the same time).
Thanks for the respond.,

I had my electrical box upgraded to a bigger box to handle 220v for heat press and all my other toys. I was told by my wife cousin that i might have problems the amperage differents of the home electrical and the heat press amperage. I want to make sure this will work before i buy it because I purchase a 31"x39" heat press last year not knowing anything and phase turn out it was a 3 phase heat press. I now know that residential homes runs on 1 phase and 3 phase is for business.

I thought I could pay electrician to covert it from 3 phase to 1 phase if possible but no one would show up after telling me I could purchase a phase converter to run it.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
It won't work on a household 120v outlet. But should work on the outlet for your electric clothes dryer (if you have one), or if you had a 220v outlet added for something like this. Just check in your breaker box to confirm that the circuit breaker for the outlet in question has the required amperage. The amperage rating is printed on each breaker switch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It won't work on a household 120v outlet. But should work on the outlet for your electric clothes dryer (if you have one), or if you had a 220v outlet added for something like this. Just check in your breaker box to confirm that the circuit breaker for the outlet in question has the required amperage. The amperage rating is printed on each breaker switch.
OK Thanks,

I have 220V for my stove but I'm having an electrician come in and install me another 220V outlet in my basement area were my equipment for the new heat press will be.

Thanks the knowledge!!!!!

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Can someone tell me if a 31"x39" 220V, 50Hz, 1P, 30A heat press can be install on a house power grid with a 220v circuit breaker?
I have 220V for my stove but I'm having an electrician come in and install me another 220V outlet in my basement area were my equipment for the new heat press will be.
You will need a dedicated 32A breaker for that heat press, but it shouldn't be a problem.
The stove outlet is likely to be on a 20A breaker and that is not enough.

I now know that residential homes runs on 1 phase and 3 phase is for business.
Actually most residential houses in the US have a 2-phase supply, which how you get that 220v.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You will need a dedicated 32A breaker for that heat press, but it shouldn't be a problem.
The stove outlet is likely to be on a 20A breaker and that is not enough.

Actually most residential houses in the US have a 2-phase supply, which how you get that 220v.
Thank You TABOB!

The Electrician will be here July the 7th to get me all setup. I just was making sure I did buy another heat press that I can get hooked up in my house and then have 2 sitting here unusable. I have one now thats 3 phase i trying to sell. Hopefully I can sell it cause imma need the room.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I just was making sure I did buy another heat press that I can get hooked up in my house and then have 2 sitting here unusable. I have one now thats 3 phase i trying to sell. Hopefully I can sell it cause imma need the room.
Yeah... you said you couldn't find anybody to rewire it for you, which is unfortunate because rewiring a 3 phase heat press to single phase is normally really easy.
Here is an example or a random 3 phase heating element found on google search.
As you can see it's actually three heating elements (one per phase).
1624554804209.png

Connecting the elements in parallel makes it a single phase, and that's all there is to it.
Here is how the US 220v single phase wiring is done.
1624554833739.png

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TABOB,

I have called 5 electrician to see if I can get the heat press rewired. They wouldn't even show up. I was thinking I had to be easy. Man I wish I can get it rewired cause I hate to sell it especially since I already have it. It took 7 grown men to carry this machine to my basement. We took 3 breaks in between because the press was so heavy

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I have called 5 electrician to see if I can get the heat press rewired. They wouldn't even show up.
This s where the knowledge to do it yourself helps.
These are all the parts you need, plus a box to put them in. and you can re-use the existing wires.
Just $22 delivered.
1624569678420.png
You can also add a 32A breaker to act as a switch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This s where the knowledge to do it yourself helps.
These are all the parts you need, plus a box to put them in. and you can re-use the existing wires.
Just $22 delivered.
View attachment 273560
You can also add a 32A breaker to act as a switch.
Hey TABOB,

I love working on my on equipment. Thank you so much, I'm going to order this stuff and do it myself. I bought a Mutoh RJ900X that I'm replacing all the used parts myself. I knew there was a way to do this. When I get the parts and install them I will let you know how it goes. Like I said in earlier reply the electrician will hook up 220v for me on July 7th. I don't have the nerves to try that myself.

Million thanks TABOB!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TABOB,

Are you saying all I have to do is change these parts out in the heat press using the same wires and when the 220v outlet is installed I can plug the heat press in and it should work like a 1 phase heat press?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Are you saying all I have to do is change these parts out in the heat press using the same wires and when the 220v outlet is installed I can plug the heat press in and it should work like a 1 phase heat press?
Correct. You can use the existing wires if you like.
The existing L1,L2,L3 connections will be joined together as L1, and the N wires (these should be connected together already) will be the L2.
The electrician will be able to do it for you as well. It's exactly the same as wiring a water heater.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Correct. You can use the existing wires if you like.
The existing L1,L2,L3 connections will be joined together as L1, and the N wires (these should be connected together already) will be the L2.
The electrician will be able to do it for you as well. It's exactly the same as wiring a water heater.
Oh Wow!!!
I ordered the kit from Ebay.

Thank You TABOB

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IMG_20201016_133925477 (1).jpg IMG_20201016_134014869 (1).jpg IMG_20201010_191601379.jpg

TABOB,

Here is pictures of the press. I will take L1,L2,L3 and chain them together and connect to L1. What wires is the N wires to chain to L2? Where would the the new temperature controller be placed since it so long?.

Sorry for keep asking you question. I just want to make sure getting want you are saying.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
What wires is the N wires to chain to L2?
I cannot really see everything in there but the N cable should be going directly to the heating element, and a smaller branch of it to the digital controller.

Where would the the new temperature controller be placed since it so long?.
This looks easier than I was expecting, and if my assumption above is correct most of these components can stay where they are.
Connecting the 220v L1 to the 3 wires in the circle should do the job. As you can see from the markings on the contractor these are the L1,L2 and L3 cables.
Then you can replace that 3-phase breaker on the left with a single phase one for the L1.
1624636866000.png

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I cannot really see everything in there but the N cable should be going directly to the heating element, and a smaller branch of it to the digital controller.

This looks easier than I was expecting, and if my assumption above is correct most of these components can stay where they are.
Connecting the 220v L1 to the 3 wires in the circle should do the job. As you can see from the markings on the contractor these are the L1,L2 and L3 cables.
Then you can replace that 3-phase breaker on the left with a single phase one for the L1.
View attachment 273571
OK thank you TABOB. I really appreciate all the info you have shared with me. I 've been trying to get this heat press hooked up since October 2020.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts