T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of a large format printer (13" x 19") strictly for printing transparencies to burn onto screens. I've done research, both on and off this site, but hear contradicting things. I assume I only need a laserjet because I will only be printing the color black, however, I can't seem to find laserjets that can handle a large format. My questions are:

1) Are there laserjets for large format printing, and if so, what are some good ones?

2) I've read a lot about Epsons 1280-3000's. Most look to be color printers, primarily used for heat transfers. Can they be used for only printing black on transparencies too? If so, is there special ink? I think many people in these forums do this.

Thanks ahead of time for your answers.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have the epson 3000 yes it is capable of printig colors but i use it primarily to print film for screen printing....which is like you said printing in black ink. It works great and the only ink i use is the black so that is the only one i have to replace its inda pricy for a cartridge i think its like $60..... the max size it prints is 17x22:)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at something a bit smaller, perhaps the 1400. I did notice that it doesn't have black ink cartridges, just the 4 basic CMYK colors. Can the 1400 print only black as well? Will I keep having to replace all of these colors? I'm confused.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I was looking at something a bit smaller, perhaps the 1400. I did notice that it doesn't have black ink cartridges, just the 4 basic CMYK colors. Can the 1400 print only black as well? Will I keep having to replace all of these colors? I'm confused.
CMYK= cyan magenta yellow and BLACK . yes the 1400 prints black:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
So I'm assuming since no one answered, that there aren't any large format laserjets?
Yes, there are large format laser printers. A lot of commercial printers (Kwik Kopy, Kinkos - that sort of thing) use laser printing up to A0 in size (33.1" × 46.8").

On a smaller (more affordable) scale, there are A3 (11.7" × 16.5") laser printers.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Are you asking if there are laser printers that do seps. If so the answer is yes some shops still use them. However they print on velum and the heat process of lasers warps the vellum so registration can be off on larger layouts. Most shops use a wide format ink jet. with a rip which allows ink jets to print half tone dots and print dark enough for our exposure needs. The new ink jets require a water proof clear sheet. These run around $2.00 bucks each. As far as printing just black yes they can print just black and yes you will have to change the black cartridge often. Accu-rip supports multiple black cartridge printing. That is where you replace all the cartriges with black. Most screen supply stores offer a package that includes printer, rip and some of the waterproof sheets, to get you started. Hope this helps

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hum....I really need to print 13x19, but AO sounds way too big (and probably too expensive).

The only other thing I still don't understand is if I need RIP software. I have read that some members use it while others have never heard of it. Wouldn't the 1400 work fine for printing solid colors on transparencies without RIP software?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts