T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a plotter/printer that prints sublimation or pigment inks and is it better to use pigment inks in your transfer rather than sublimation .....thanx

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Re: Frequently Asked Questions in the Vinyl Cutters (Plotters) Forum: New here? Read Me

there is no print/cut for sublimation....sublimation requires special ink/heat/pressure to work only on 100% polyester. Pigment inks are good for ordinary transfers... there are print/cut plotters and they start around 10k. Heat press vinyl for garments that are used ...usually only for single color images..sometimes you can do 2-3 three. You cannot do gradient or photos on vinyl cutter. You can use certain cutters with registration systems to measure an inkjet image and contour cut...

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Re: Frequently Asked Questions in the Vinyl Cutters (Plotters) Forum: New here? Read Me

Charles.. there are sub inks for the roland versacamms.. Its not an ink that you can switch back and forth.. You either get the eco-sol ink or the dye sub ink.
Its cool that it does dye sub so wide.. but heck you would need a huge heat press lol..

here is the link to the versacamm with the dyesub. Roland DGA Corporation - HeatWave Wide-Format Sublimation Inkjet Printer and Printer/Cutters

·
Registered
2,523 Posts

Um, yeah...why would you need something like that???

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

Well i image mabe companies that dye sub large things.. lol.. I mean i know there are places that dyesub tablecloths and blankets and such.. so they would have to have a big printer.. but for us doing t-shirts it would be a bit of an overkill.. .. lol.. image how warm your shop would get with a huge heat press lol.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts

I don't think I even want to think about that. ;)

Huh. I always thought those items were just printed. I didn't know they were dye subbed! Learn something new every day. :)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

I don't think I even want to think about that. ;)

Huh. I always thought those items were just printed. I didn't know they were dye subbed! Learn something new every day. :)
We have a company we get some laser engraved jackets and blankets from for my customers.. and they sell sublimated products also.. that you can send them art to do..
here is one of their blankets.
Colorado Timberline

·
Registered
2,523 Posts

COOL! :D

Too bad it's not rugs, too. I had someone ask me recently if I knew of a place to get rugs printed or custom woven. He wanted a picture on a rug at the bottom of his basement stairs. He ended up going to Wal-Mart, where they have that service.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

they do have some dyesub rugs i believe.. ill check tommorow, their catalog is at the shop..
.. they do have really cool laser engraved rugs.. im gonna get one for the shop with our logo engraved in it.

·
Registered
276 Posts

Um, yeah...why would you need something like that???
Chani,
We sell a lot of those printers for high end production houses. I think there's one in Canada that has three 74" dye sub machines going 24 hours a day churning out bicycle shirts and other specialty apparel. Tour de France type stuff. The others do custom items like Sue's talking about.

One shop here in Southern California sells custom snowboards. But you could do door mats, rugs, tablecloths, mousepads, coasters, flags, all kinds of cool stuff.
There's a company in Vegas called Pictographics that sublimated all the felt for the blackjack tables at the Hard Rock Hotel.

Just a few things, but definitely very cool applications. As far as t-shirts are concerned, it'd have to be high production all-white, poly blends.

-Dana

·
Registered
2,523 Posts

Okay! :D

Thanks for explaining that to me to both of you. :)

Like I said ealier, I always thought those were just direct-printed, not dye-subbed. :eek:

I leaned something new! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts