T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there, can any one recomend a very cheap but reliable laminator for the versacamm 540 . plus if any one has anty vinyl or laminate they would recomend for vehicle wrapping i would much appreciate it
many thanks , out .

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
hey there, can any one recomend a very cheap but reliable laminator for the versacamm 540 . plus if any one has anty vinyl or laminate they would recomend for vehicle wrapping i would much appreciate it
many thanks , out .
Probably the cheapest cold laminator is going to be the Diage.

Cold Laminators from Daige Products

If you have a big enough work surface a big squeegee will work also.

Big Squeegee Product Information

As far as vinyl and laminate for wraps we use 3M....

3M US: Controltac Plus Graphic Film with Comply Performance

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for replying Jon , do you use a big squeege or an expensive laminator .. it sounds like u have experience in wraps .. what made you go with 3m and not avery .. is it the prive ... is 3m cheaper .. which of 3m`s vinyl`s do you use for wrapping and which laminate do you use ? do you have a default one of each or does it depend on each vehicle / job ? is laminate an absolute must or can u get away with the protection that the vinyl states it has ie - 2 years out doors etc.

and 6 important questions .. now i remember.

1) how much vinyl do use per average size car
2) what is the cost of that amount of vinyl roughly
3) is a versacamm540sp i decent printer for vehicle wraps
4)can u fit a roll of vinyl wider than 54" on a 540sp ?
5)whats the best software to design/make vehicle wraps on.
6)whats the cost of laminate per average car wrap . or/and per roll.
Thank you 2 any 1 who can help .. i love you

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
thanks for replying Jon , do you use a big squeege or an expensive laminator ..
We have/use both..

it sounds like u have experience in wraps .. what made you go with 3m and not avery .. is it the prive ... is 3m cheaper .. which of 3m`s vinyl`s do you use for wrapping and which laminate do you use ?
Once you do a wrap with cheap vinyl and then do one with 3M you'll see the difference right off, not saying that Avery isn't good stuff we have just never used it, we have used Solvex 2m vinyl and didn't like it's characteristics when heated to stretch in compound corners, also the adhesive is less then desirable.

The cost difference between cheap vinyl and 3M isn't that much, maybe 10 cents per foot depending on how much you buy and who you buy it from.

We use 3M laminate with 3M vinyl because of the warranty 3M offers if you use their products together, a lot of times a manufacture will void their warranty if you use a competitors over laminate on their product because that can't guarantee the performance of the two products used together.

do you have a default one of each or does it depend on each vehicle / job ? is laminate an absolute must or can u get away with the protection that the vinyl states it has ie - 2 years out doors etc.
IMHO unless the customer insists, laminate is a must, while eco-solvent ink has a lot of durability, you need UV protection, and also protection from all the weather, dirt, etc that a vehicle encounters every day. The ink will fade and your customer won't be happy with your work, also without lamination the ink will scratch from just washing the wrap.....it's gotta' be laminated as far as I'm concern.

As far as 2 year outdoor life, we laminate everything that we print if it's going outside, doesn't matter if it's a vehicle wrap, decals or signage, if we print it it gets laminated.

and 6 important questions .. now i remember.

1) how much vinyl do use per average size car
2) what is the cost of that amount of vinyl roughly
3) is a versacamm540sp i decent printer for vehicle wraps
4)can u fit a roll of vinyl wider than 54" on a 540sp ?
5)whats the best software to design/make vehicle wraps on.
6)whats the cost of laminate per average car wrap . or/and per roll.
Thank you 2 any 1 who can help .. i love you
#1 typically 40-50' to do your average vehicle, small cars are less, big vans are more, just depends on the coverage.

#2 Hard to say.....I think the 3m vinyl in a 54" roll x 150' is somewhere around .45 cents a foot plus shipping.

#3 Yes....we use a VP540 the SP's newer brother, IMHO Roland is the industrial standard printer for car wraps.

#4....nope, the limit on our VP540 is 54" no way to run wider material through it.

#5 As with any design work it's preference, we use Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator for all our designs.

#6 The 3M laminate is very close to the same cost as the vinyl, I'm thinking in the .40-.50 cent per foot range.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you so much for answering those questions it really helped and has saved me hours looking those answers up on the web ( already bin sat here 4 )

just not sure about the size`s / price .. since im uk and not a dinasour i work in mm cm and metres ive got no idea about foot pounds yards or ten pennys . but i`ll work it out but just to clarify you use 40/50 ft of vinyl per vehicle and its 40/50 cents per foot ? so 45 x 45 ( then worked out in to GBP ) ?

would that be a rough estimate ?

also please be an absolute legend and tell me your prefered models or types is it .. ? of 3m vinyl you use for wrapping

Thank you so much Jon boy !

Oh and one more thing . wot do u think about one person doing a full " car " wrap with the aid of a tool such as the wraptor ? possible ? ) or 2 man minimum ?

love you

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
thank you so much for answering those questions it really helped and has saved me hours looking those answers up on the web ( already bin sat here 4 )
No problem

just not sure about the size`s / price .. since im uk and not a dinasour i work in mm cm and metres ive got no idea about foot pounds yards or ten pennys . but i`ll work it out but just to clarify you use 40/50 ft of vinyl per vehicle and its 40/50 cents per foot ? so 45 x 45 ( then worked out in to GBP ) ?

would that be a rough estimate ?
The wife said I made a error in the pricing I told you, here's the correct price vinyl is .96 cents a sq foot and laminate is .67 cents a square foot, sorry for the misinformation she does all the ordering and is more knowledgeable on the pricing.

I never learned the metric system.....sorry your on your own doing the conversions, guess I am a dinosaur! LOL!

also please be an absolute legend and tell me your prefered models or types is it .. ? of 3m vinyl you use for wrapping
I believe I gave you a link in my first post that would take you to 3M's site and the current model number of the vinyl we use, 3M has a weird way of numbering it's films and honestly I'd need to look at one of our invoices to give you the exact part number.

Oh and one more thing . wot do u think about one person doing a full " car " wrap with the aid of a tool such as the wraptor ? possible ? ) or 2 man minimum ?
Well.......I can't say it can not be done with one person if he/she had a lot of experience, it would depend on the size of the panels you were trying to apply and the graphic design, 30" panels probably could be done by one person, but 54" panels I doubt it, we try to have at the minimum 2 people, but at times use 3. There are a lot of variables, type of vehicle, type of design, size of the panels, level of experience, it goes on and on.

One thing I would tell you is that you would be advised to take some classes/training before trying to wrap a vehicle it would be worth every penny you spend.

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts