T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received some sample labels from clothinglabels4u, one of the sites sponsor. The labels were very nice and I was impressed. I have also looked into Lucky Labels as well. My original plan was to remove the Gildan label and leave the size and care instructions label in the shirt. Well, I realized yesterday that they are the same label only folded (duh I know).

This kind of throws a wrench into my plan because now I would need to have custom labels made with the different sizes on it, which I really don't want to do because I want to keep inventory, etc. as simple as possible.

Okay, my new plan is to make plastisol transfers and heat press them in the shirts, thus having tagless labels. This is pretty popular right now and I wanted to see if anyone else out there does this. It would definately cost less and would allow for more customization and different style labels. So, I will remove all the current labels on the shirt and then press our name, care, and size labels in. If anyone has any suggestions or advice I would totally appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
My suggestion would be to use a different brand of t-shirt :)

All the other t-shirt brands I've seen have a SEPARATE size/care instructions tag and a separate brand tag (Hanes, AltAp, AA, M &O, etc).

I'd just use a brand that has a separate brand/size tag to make things a lot easier.

Although I could be saying that because I'm no big fan of Gildan (although many people are :))

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
hummm,
plastisol transfers to be used as required content and wash labels may not work too good because very/very/small text usually used in content/wash labels.

Here in Canada, i think the minimum allowed gov-law for content label durability is something like 5 washes. With a Brand we do work for that uses Gildan shirts, they re-label the shirts with paper-type labels that are within gov-regulation. These paper labels a very affordable.

You can then make your Brand/Logo Plastisol labels, for durability purposes keep any label text at about 30 points or more if possible.

The best is to have a solid ink shape and make your logo or text in the label clear so that it's color becomes the color of your shirt.....just a few ideas to try to help you out. Good luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everbody for your suggestions. I didn't even think about a separate size label. Rodney, are you sure about the two labels with the other brands. After looking at the Gildan (which I always thought were 2 labels by the way they looked). I checked out some other brands that I had hanging in my closet. They were all one label too that just had the fold where the seam is. I think one was an Anvil but can't remember for sure.

Also, after thinking about doing transfer labels I kind of got excited. We have several different designs and themes, so I was thinking I would customize about 5 different labels, each showing our company name with a different theme (i.e. dog paw for dog shirts, fish-hook for fishing and boating shirts, cute girlie lettering for our baby boll shirts). I guess I will keep thinking about it and thanks again for the info.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Rodney, are you sure about the two labels with the other brands. After looking at the Gildan (which I always thought were 2 labels by the way they looked). I checked out some other brands that I had hanging in my closet. They were all one label too that just had the fold where the seam is. I think one was an Anvil but can't remember for sure.
Yep, I'm sure because I've had many brands relabeled and the size tag is sitting right there :) I have 2 on my desk right now from Hanes and Bella. Both have separate size tags.

It's probably not the case with all brands though. I'm actually surprised that Gildan's is not separate.

Also, after thinking about doing transfer labels I kind of got excited. We have several different designs and themes, so I was thinking I would customize about 5 different labels, each showing our company name with a different theme (i.e. dog paw for dog shirts, fish-hook for fishing and boating shirts, cute girlie lettering for our baby boll shirts).
Sounds like a neat idea!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
We do as Greg suggested...

Whip everything off, and institch our own label and a size tag like this one:

Although ours are silver on black....I think it looks snazzy...

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
LucyRoberts said:
Here in Canada, i think the minimum allowed gov-law for content label durability is something like 5 washes.
In the US and Australia it has to last the useful life of the garment, so that wouldn't fly.

·
2,957 Posts
You can get 1,000 labels for $250.

You can get them sewn in for as little as 25 cents per label/shirt.

That's a total of 50 cents for the label and the sewing. Plus all the shipping and stuff.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
This is some more good reading. I needed to know some of this info, keep it coming.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
why not leave the Gildan Label on the t-shirt and print your logo/brand on the shirt ?

one good thing about leaving the Gildan t-shirt label on the shirt is that peeps know the Brand is good quality and places like the Big-Chain stores like Wal-Mark do not sell them (last time i looked), where they may sell fruit or hanes and this puts independent newbie t-shirts at that quality/price range.

Below is a sample of a Screen Stars paper-type label ( well, they feel like paper but must be some other substance since they are washable ). This label is on an original Guns and Roses t-shirt from the day. Also notice that the Brand that sold these shirts printed their Brand name on the sleeve and left the Screen Stars label on the shirt.

--------------------
Another paper-type label used a lot by manufacturers, again..du-no what they are called, i think they come on sheets pre-printed with wash/care symbols etc. and the garment manufacturers print these labels themselfs with a lazer black/white printer with the proper content required like the fabric content, item#, cut# etc... according to what garments/t-shirts they are manufacturing.

I know i've seen these in the USA/Canada....

has anyone here seen these paper-type labels ? or know what they are called or who makes them ?

With this type label is another way the poster can solve the Gildan re-Label problem.

But the first example may be better.

Attachments

·
2,957 Posts
Branding is the reason for taking the Gildan label out. If one is trying to establish their own brand, leaving the original label is self-defeating.

That's the whole reason for his thread. He wants his own label. Not the Gildan.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again everyone for all of this information. And yes branding is the exact answer. I have screen-printed our logo on most of our designs in the past and have always left the Gildan label in the shirt. However, we are trying to take it to the next level and want the customers to only see our name in the shirts............along with our site address, etc. I am still looking into all of the label options, but again I think I am almost sold on the screen-printed transfer labels. I know they probably will fade a little but it would be so much less expensive since I can do it myself. It also allows for more customization and is somewhat mainstream and acceptable at the time.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
LucyRoberts said:
one good thing about leaving the Gildan t-shirt label on the shirt is that peeps know the Brand is good quality

That's extremely subjective. Personally I tend to think of Gildan as the minimum acceptable quantity (i.e. it's not particularly good, but it is good enough).

LucyRoberts said:
and places like the Big-Chain stores like Wal-Mark do not sell them (last time i looked), where they may sell fruit or hanes

K-mart here sell Gildan blanks and various chauvinist slogans printed on Gildan. The only other two brands they have are Bonds (blank only) and their home brand. Personally I don't think it helps or harms (in Australia anyway). Bonds are regarded as a quality brand for example, despite being sold at K-mart.

As for the FoTL/Hanes comparison... again, very subjective. I think of both Fruit and Hanes as being better quality than Gildan.

Objectively Gildan, Hanes and Fruit of the Loom are all at very similar levels (i.e. similar price, similar fabric weight, readily available, similar size and colour range, etc.). You could rank them on sales volume or personal preference, but I don't think there's any (even semi-) objective measure of their relative worth.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Solmu, yes opinions are fine.......

not very good photos....sorry, the Brand name printed on the sleeve of the Guns & Roses original licensed t-shirt are not small potatoes..... why would they not remove the screen stars label ?

The other paper type Label, again, soooo sorry for the bad photo quality. They are used/sewed on side seams, neck binding etc.... they are not the type you print your brand name on mind you.

Solmu, have you seen these paper type labels ? or know what they are called or who makes them ?????

Sharing this with me would make make day. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
LucyRoberts said:
the Brand name printed on the sleeve of the Guns & Roses original licensed t-shirt are not small potatoes..... why would they not remove the screen stars label ?
Obviously I'm speculating, but an arguement could be made that printing "Guns N Roses" on the front of a shirt brands it so completely that anything else would be redundant, so you might as well save 20c a shirt.

LucyRoberts said:
Solmu, have you seen these paper type labels ? or know what they are called or who makes them ?????
I've seen them, though I don't personally like them (I like things to be more permanent). I don't know what they're called sorry. They're pretty much standard for suits too (inside the pocket), so they're definitely in wide use.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts