T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm currently trying to set up a t-shirt business. I've sent some test prints off and the colours are coming back looking muddy, the reds are massively over-saturated etc.

The printer that I'm working with uses a Kornit Avalanche 1000 to print. I've asked them for access to an ICC profile, but they wont help.

Does anyone have access to an ICC profile for this machine so that I can use soft-proofing to get better colour results?

Cheers

· Registered
630 Posts
Hi,

I'm currently trying to set up a t-shirt business. I've sent some test prints off and the colours are coming back looking muddy, the reds are massively over-saturated etc.

The printer that I'm working with uses a Kornit Avalanche 1000 to print. I've asked them for access to an ICC profile, but they wont help.

Does anyone have access to an ICC profile for this machine so that I can use soft-proofing to get better colour results?

Cheers
I don't think any 'printer' will allow a client to adjust the ICC profile.

How about asking the firm what are their suggestions for changing the images.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey man,

I don't want to change what their ICC profile is. I just want access to it so that I can soft-proof in Photoshop, see how my design will look when printed using their ICC profile and then make the appropriate adjustments to colour and tone to get the result I want.

The only design advice I get is to create in CMYK

· Registered
4,694 Posts
Hey man,

I don't want to change what their ICC profile is. I just want access to it so that I can soft-proof in Photoshop, see how my design will look when printed using their ICC profile and then make the appropriate adjustments to colour and tone to get the result I want.

The only design advice I get is to create in CMYK
"Create in CMYK" is generally bull****, as the driver/RIP expects RGB input and translates that to CMYK based upon the capabilities of the printer.

I've looked for this before and not found one. Perhaps nothing available outside of Kornit's own software ... :confused:
In any case, it seems the best we can do is softproof with a generic CMYK profile.

My own experience is that the reds/oranges lose midtone and shadow detail. Worst print ever had a tangerine with a gradation of tones from the lighting, and shadowed tones in the dimples of the skin--those both vanished. Just an orange blob with some bright white highlights at the top :(

My best guess is need to increase the intensity of the shadows and add a bit of green (maybe?) to them to shift them further away from orange/red. I haven't bothered trying to fix that design, as I don't want to pay for another sample--easier just to write that one off as a loss and move on.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd be willing to buy the Kornit software if it was possible to get it without a printer, but it doesn't look like it is.

Doesn't look like I can even pay to have a custom ICC profile made because I'm not in control of the printer so I can't get them to switch 'colour management' off before printing a colour test.

Makes no sense to me why manufacturers and third-party printers aren't willing to give this information out. Without it, I'm working blind. With it, I can make sure that the printed design more closely matches what's on the screen, so return rates will be lower, customer satisfaction is higher etc.

· Registered
4,694 Posts
I'd be willing to buy the Kornit software if it was possible to get it without a printer, but it doesn't look like it is.

Doesn't look like I can even pay to have a custom ICC profile made because I'm not in control of the printer so I can't get them to switch 'colour management' off before printing a colour test.

Makes no sense to me why manufacturers and third-party printers aren't willing to give this information out. Without it, I'm working blind. With it, I can make sure that the printed design more closely matches what's on the screen, so return rates will be lower, customer satisfaction is higher etc.
I have a friend who works at one of the well-known PODs. Some of the largest customers get all of their work run on the same printer, or set of printers, from which they have obtained samples and adjusted their art/process to work with. Smaller customers are SOL. That's life in the POD world.

· Registered
9 Posts
Your best bet is to speak to the workflow person at the POD facility and ask them if they have their printers linearized. Even if you run a custom ICC profile the CMYK density output on press needs to be set correctly before creating the profile. So many people run these machines and don't understand the importance of color management.

· Registered
74 Posts
Hi,

Cheers
Hello !

I am an expert in file preparation for kornit machine, maybe I can help you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.