T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Koolart does not appear to be officially licensed by any of the car companies. While I agree there does not seem to be any copyright infringement, I do believe there are trademark infringements in their artwork. As far as you are concerned, you are not a licensee or sub-licensee of Ferrari. So just because you are licensed by Koolart, that does not permit you to use Ferrari's intellectual property. It's just bad luck that you are getting suspended for doing the same as others who are continuing to get away with it. The best thing to do is consult an intellectual property attorney and get some professional advice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So could i change my listing from KOOLART KOOL ART FERRARI 355 SPYDER MOUSE MAT to kool art 355 spyder mousemat?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also koolart have said that if there was any chnace that their images were illegal they would have been shut down by now...

so maybe its jut a wording issue use koolart mouse mat rather than ferrari mousemat which could imply its a ferrari mousemat

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use to be a Koolart license holder and they are very good at how they get around the copyright laws by now display the legal owners details.
I would assume this is the same with Ferrari, but having said that, I remember reading a good few years ago how Ferrari sued and won a case with a body work manufacture who were supplying bodywork to build kit cars. One particular case was where the purchaser of one of these kits took it further and although he had no badges or logo's resembling ferrari on this kit car, he lost because it was "passing off" as a ferrari.

There was also the case more recently where the guy who "stetched" a 360 Mon was told it would have to be removed of ALL ferrari badges.....

Doesn't really help but hope you get this sorted

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
So could i change my listing from KOOLART KOOL ART FERRARI 355 SPYDER MOUSE MAT to kool art 355 spyder mousemat?
You can, but it won't make it any less of an infringement. The infringement is in the art, not the eBay posting. Changing it may make it harder to find, but doesn't make it any more legal.

also koolart have said that if there was any chnace that their images were illegal they would have been shut down by now...
That's one way to look at it. Another way would be that if they keep doing illegal things, they will eventually get caught.

Car companies own their IP. Koolart is using it without license or permission. Maybe they are doing something to sidestep infringement laws. But unless their attorneys represent you, I don't think what they are doing protects you at all.

so maybe its jut a wording issue use koolart mouse mat rather than ferrari mousemat which could imply its a ferrari mousemat
The fact that there is a Ferrari on the mousemat makes it a Ferrari mousemat. Changing the name doesn't make a difference. But stranger things have happened. Perhaps they don't care if the image is used as long as it is not marketed or sold using the Ferrari name as to confuse it with an official Ferrari product. That's a stretch though. I would contact an attorney or perhaps send an e-mail to the address you listed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks...

also i posted the same question on a copyright forum and got this answer from andy..

heres the link seems a good site for copyright issues

Copyright Aid :: koolart copyright and ferrari copyright - who is right?

and heres the reply

I suspect that this is not a copyright issue, but concerns the use of the trademark 'Ferrari'. In your ebay listings, do you just use the word in a normal typeface or in the distinctive Ferrari badge style? If it is the latter then the company certainly have some justification for objecting because some buyers might be led to believe that this was official Ferrari merchandise.
The plain word Ferrari as used here is not copyright nor is it a trademark - anyone can say or write the word without there being a problem over intellectual property. But using the logo and name in connection with cars and a host of other trademark categories including cosmetics, key rings, wristwatches, sportswear, golf bags and of course motor racing, then the problems start. (More details of the many registered Ferrari trademarks here:
http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tm/t-find/t-find-text/tmtsearch-search.aspx)
I think your analysis of what has happened on ebay is probably correct. Ferrari or some third party company on their behalf, have done a trawl for the word and have assumed that all the results are trademark infringements. I don't think that is the case with your particular merchandise. Your use of the word is generic in my opinion.
I assume that you have read ebay's policy on intellectual property protection (for other readers who may not have, check here: eBay UK: Help: VeRO Programme. Faq 5 is the relevant bit here.
Try to contact Ferrari and get them to withdraw their objection, and if you do not get a satisfactory reply (or no reply at all) you can then go back to ebay for assistance. Understandably ebay have to support their VeRO clients - which include most of the big names - or face even more litigation than they currently experience, but it is a policy that allows you that argue your case, assuming you feel it is worth the hassle

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cant seem to get an answer my self with getting a licence off koolart filled in the online form and hear nothing back. how eash is it to get licenced and cost ?

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is interesting. Thanks to all for the heads up. I was looking into (very nearly had my hand on the chequebook today) buying a koolart dealer license. Didn't occur to me that there might be copyright issues with their artwork vs manufacturer trade names and logos. Anybody else got issues with this? Or is this an isolated thread?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes me... had my ebay account closed yesterday..

painful!!

on one side you have koolart with their store trading away and selling goods and on the other you have ebay, ferrari, JCB, Ducati, Bigfoot etc all having their listings removed.

You might get away with it for a month or 2 but you will get closed... i have had my eye on other stores on ebay selling koolart and they have stopped selling.

to be fair though the artwork sells like hot cakes and if koolart could agree a licence deal with manufacturers then may be i iwould pay a bit more...

but as it stands you will hit problems...

how can you advertise a ducati motor bike without using the word ducati?

ta

·
Registered
75 Posts
yes me... had my ebay account closed yesterday..

painful!!

on one side you have koolart with their store trading away and selling goods and on the other you have ebay, ferrari, JCB, Ducati, Bigfoot etc all having their listings removed.

You might get away with it for a month or 2 but you will get closed... i have had my eye on other stores on ebay selling koolart and they have stopped selling.

to be fair though the artwork sells like hot cakes and if koolart could agree a licence deal with manufacturers then may be i iwould pay a bit more...

but as it stands you will hit problems...

how can you advertise a ducati motor bike without using the word ducati?

ta
Well well well... I had absolutely no idea!!! I've been flirting with the idea for over a year, but just couldn't quite bring myself to buy the license as there seems to always be a more pressing bill or something to pay. Tried to negotiate a deal with the MD today, but he turned me down. Was about to write a 'humble-pie submission to price' email this evening when it occurred to me to 'stop and check' it out here one the forum.... Darnnn....

Thanks. Saved me a few quid!! Hmmm,,,, about that temp tattoo kit....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I'm new here, but not new in printing business. I used to be Koolart licensee for nearly three years. There is no issues with copyright, but with trademark only. My ebay account was banned for continues trademark violations. Apparently I can't use brand names but only images. Ferrari, Audi, Ducati and others were reporting me all the way long. I had over 100000 items on sale. Nearly all of them with Koolart images. I won't be doing business on large scale with koolart again, cause you never know when you are gonna be banned.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you just got your eBay store shut down, consider yourselves lucky.

You do NOT want to mess with the IP lawyers from any of the big car companies. Even if you are right and have permission, they will run you out of business defending yourself.

DaveW

1 - 14 of 14 Posts