T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, all-

When you're creating a piece of artwork, do you set the page size to your platen size, or smaller?

For instance, the DTG Kiosk II has a platen size of around 12" x 20". But the artwork I had printed was created in CorelDraw X3 with a page size of 10" x 10" and exported to a JPG.

The graphic was enlarged slightly and looked great when it was printed, but it seems to me that you would get the best results by creating your image in the size you intend to print.

What say ya'll?

Chris

· Registered
120 Posts
Why are you exporting as a .jpg? Are you using the new "print from" option in Rip Software? I would save as the size I want to print, because you are resizing a .jpg that looses resolution when enlarged. I say try it both ways and see if there is any difference. Let us know your results.

Suzette70

· Banned
499 Posts
For placement purposes you should have the page size the size of you plattant(sp). The size of the image is the size of the image, also if you output a smaller page size than the printer is set up to if you do not have set the layout size in printing to same as document it will resize it!

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why are you exporting as a .jpg? Are you using the new "print from" option in Rip Software? I would save as the size I want to print, because you are resizing a .jpg that looses resolution when enlarged. I say try it both ways and see if there is any difference. Let us know your results.

Suzette70

When I demo'd the machine, the rep told me to bring JPGs. She opened them in Photoshop.

I'm not 100% sure about the printing. When she printed the design it looked like a standard Windows print box and I thought she was printing from Photoshop, but I know she set some options in the Rip software also...

Is there a better file format to use than JPG?

Chris

· Registered
111 Posts
Definitely create the image in the size you want to print it or bigger. It is always best to have it bigger than intended in case you need it that way there is no harm in shrinking it down because the res. will already be set if you want it as large as your board. I use PSD or AI files and only Jpegs when a customer sends them.

· Premium Member
7,117 Posts
Whenever I am printing on my hm1 I have the page set to the size of my printbed when doing artwork. That way it gives me a realistic image of placement. I also never save artwork less then 200 dpi to keep the quality.

· Registered
350 Posts
Make up some templates the same size as you platten width and height and save at 200dpi and transperent. I hace 4 adult ones for backs 1 full length then 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4. All you have to do then is drag you art work into the template and work with it from there. Center all your art work in the tamplate and size it in the template. This will ensure a always centered print and always the same dpi etc. This will be your 1st layer. Its easy and quick to do. Do the same for childrens platten and pocket platten. I actually print at 300dpi but it is not necessary to do this as it does slow things down a little. No probs if you have a good PC though. Do not use jpeg because it will not give you a trans background and if you are doing a dark shirt you will have the back fill in white printed as well. Use psd or similar so you can use a trans backgorund and keep the res.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.