T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just purchased a used Kiosk II and it looked like it wasn't cleaned or been taken care of. We replaced the printer head, capping station, and encoder strip. We are converting to bag ink and have installed the Belquette dampers, new lines, and CMYK bags. White bag is not hooked up yet. When turned on, the head rolls one side to the other and stops on the left. All red lights and error eject light flash in sync. We have tried the steps in the trouble shooting guide and it's still not working. Any ideas on how to fix this?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Sounds like when you replaced the encoder strip you didn't thread it into the print head carriage. The encoder strip goes inside a hole behind the print head carriage and should not just sit behind it.
Try to get a flashlight and look back there.

Also, you mentioned you didn't set up the white yet? What kind of fluid do you have in there now? Make sure to run cleaning solution or distilled water and not have it dry or your print head might burn out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did thread the encoder strip through the loop on the back of the head carriage. I hadn't hooked up the white bag yet to the 3 lines but was intending on doing it immediately. In the mean time, I turned on the printer to get the error lights and am now racking my brain to figure out what may be going on. The manual troubleshooter says it could be one of three things... a foriegn object blocking the print head, a dirty encoder strip, or a foriegn object blocking the print tray. I've looked over all three, the print head moves from side to side with no binding on it's own when first turning on, and the encoder strip is brand new. This thing has me stumped. Any idea on who to call to help with the trouble shooting?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Thank you to all of the users who have responded above. I concur with their statements that it is encoder trip related. Verify that the strip is properly installed and if it is, consider putting the old one back in to see if it rectifies the problem.

Did you try turning the machine on before you did the repairs? If so, was the same issue occuring then?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I didn't turn on the machine with the old print head or capping station in it. I did turn it on before changing the encoder strip and had this issue so I first tried to clean the encoder strip and nothing changed. From there I replaced the encoder strip and still have the same problem.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The problem points to a bad encoder read. If you are certain that your encoder strip is not damage and it is properly threaded through the carriage, then look on the back of the carriage and ensure the ribbon cable did not come loose or unplugged. The ribbon cable splits into 2 sections, one for the print head and one for the carriage.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
We just purchased a used Kiosk II and it looked like it wasn't cleaned or been taken care of. We replaced the printer head, capping station, and encoder strip. We are converting to bag ink and have installed the Belquette dampers, new lines, and CMYK bags. White bag is not hooked up yet. When turned on, the head rolls one side to the other and stops on the left. All red lights and error eject light flash in sync. We have tried the steps in the trouble shooting guide and it's still not working. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Try unhooking the ink lines / chain to the cartridges to the printhead and the ink chain to the carriage assembly. Turn on the printer and see if you have the same issue with nothing now attached to your print head carriage assembly.

Harry
Equipment Zone

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the help! We just finished replacing the head carriage and the ribbon cable. Now when we turn the printer on, the carriage moves from one side to the other and completes a head clean. I can't however get the ink lines to prime. We aren't getting the "error eject" flash anymore which is good but when I hold down the "ink fill" button I can hear and see the pump working but the lines aren't priming. I've reset the waste ink counter. As it stands now, the printer has both the power and eject green lights turned on. I went through the printer options to attempt a nozel check and the print head moves but then starts to flash the "error eject" light. Also, when holding down the "ink" button for 3 seconds, the printer initiates the head clean successfully. What's the tip on getting the lines primed and should I put some head cleaning solution in the capping station to wet the head? Thanks again to all that have inputed we really appreciate it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good call Adam.

Also wouldn't hurt to make sure the sensor on the carriage is clean, try blowing it out with compressed air.

Odd thing, when I pulled out the old carriage the sensor was missing! Not sure what the previous owner was doing or if this was standard but it wasn't there with the little ribbon cable that attaches to it...maybe the reason for the errors last night.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The sensor on the bottom of the head carriage needs to be removed, it is a feature of a page printer that interferes with the operation of the unit as a direct to garment printer.

Ok. Sensor removed with ribbon cable that attached it. Turned printer back on and got a quick flash with the red "error eject" light and then it went back to having solid green power and eject lights. It seems like it's working fine and is ready to go but I still can't get the lines to fill with ink from the bags.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm thinking something is wrong with the "ink fill" feature. The motor spins when the button is pressed but it's not pulling ink through the lines. Is it possible that the lines could be clogged or maybe a bigger problem?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We pulled the dampers with syringe including flushing solutions through the white ink lines. Still nothing...did 2 more head cleans and no waste in waste pad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did another head clean and a tiny bit of black ink came out into the capping station. Went through printer options again to attempt a head clean, nozzle check, and head alignment and now the power light is blinking green, the eject light is solid green, and the error eject light is blinking red. Not sure what this means. Any ideas?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks I'll look at it tomorrow when I get to the shop...just out of curiousity, why would it only do this when I attempt a head clean through the computer and not when I hold down the "ink" button for 3 seconds to start a head clean?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts