T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I work out of a double garage with no heating...
What do you folks do to keep the inks above 7 deg C (44 deg F) in the winter time if you have no proper heating in the room?

thanks. . .
Ed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, been at it for 7 years now but have recently moved to a new property, the old workspace was in a garage but smaller and had an oil filled radiator to control the heat..
this garage is bigger and a bit more difficult to heat.

the door, floor and walls have been insulated but am looking for a different (efficient) heat source....

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
the old workspace was in a garage but smaller and had an oil filled radiator to control the heat..
If insulation is good, an oil filled radiator will work for the double garage as well.
You may want to boost the airflow a bit, and low power computer fans are perfect for this.

looking for a different (efficient) heat source....
If you keep your gas heating on 24/7 like I do, adding central heating radiators is the best way.
I used to heat my garage with a small fan heater for a couple of years, which worked great, but I was constantly worried about it catching fire.
Then installed two 1.8 meter radiators and no more worries. Around £300 in parts and I did the work myself.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Thanks for that, im hoping the oil filled will do the job.. .
It will do.
All you need is enough air flow to boost the transfer of heat.
My fan heater could raise the temperature of my double garage form 5 to 20C in around 40 minutes.
Maintaining 20C after that consumed around 750w per hour (it was a 2000w heater).

Has anyone used a hydroponics tent or such like?, just a thought of reducing the area to heat. . . .
Hydroponic tents are for concentrating light... not heat.
Plants cannot grow without fresh air flow providing the required CO2.

Having said that, any type of barrier can be used to concentrate heat in a smaller area.
You can use anything you like... even pallet wrap will do the job.
Example...

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Humidity also plays into this as well. You'll probably need a humidifier with all this dry heat you're planning.
Humidity is not going to be an issue in the UK... We have plenty of it.

Having said that, ventilation control is very important... especially when drying the printed/pretreated shirts.
Otherwise:
a) you'll be breathing nasty fumes, and
b) humidity will eventually raise beyond acceptable levels.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how many inks are you dealing with? We have big cabinet with an electric heated in it to keep it a nice 75 degrees in it and it works for use great.
it's the inks in the tanks of the printer I am concerned with, it's a resolute r-jet5 printer so not very big. Some kind of tent / cover like TABOB suggested might do the job. .

Computer keyboard Gas Machine Art Automotive exterior

1 - 12 of 12 Posts