T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I was just foolin' around with ya'all about the new paper. However, it isn't really a lie... Yesterday I was printing a batch of 40 tees (Jerzee 50/50 birch and tan). I just started using the jpss recently as I was having transfers made by someone else locally before. When I ordered the paper, I also bought a teflon sheet, which I had never used before. A bare heating element was all I used previously but it seems it's quite common to use the teflon. 30 second dwell times seem to be the norm for this paper.

So as I went about my first 150 pressings using the teflon sheet and 25-30 second time...I found myself standing around a lot. Another annoying thing was the teflon sheet was folded in quarters when it came and the folds never came out. When printing sweats, and sometimes shirts, often the image wouldn't print where the fold was. Anyway, being a little pressed for time, I decided to speed things up.

I was already printing the back pieces (approx 10 x 14) at 20-25 seconds and the smaller crest/pocket pieces (3.5") at 15 seconds with no change in the results. I tossed aside that damn teflon sheet and started reducing my dwell time little by little until I found I was still getting perfect prints at 10 sec for the large back piece and I could go down to 6 sec on the front crest with no trouble.

The only difference with the front piece is size... with my old transfers, I could do the same thing, tho' I would keep the back pieces to 15 sec or so. Heat is set to 365 and I'm using a pretty firm pressure on an old HIX 16 x 20 Swinger.

Absolutely NO pre-heating!

After the shirt slips over the platen, it gets kinda sweaty. Perfect. Lay on the decal and stamp away. Peel hot. I was knocking those critters off one by one! Almost constant motion and little "waiting around" time.

I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but the shirt slips over the platen like it would if you were screenprinting. Only one side of the shirt is between the platen and the heating element. I love this paper! Also, I'm using the textile transfer inks from Inkjetcarts printed on an Epson 1400.

I have to thank the members of this forum for leading me to my current setup. No longer do I have to rely on someone else to make my transfers, and the cost is less to boot! -Neil

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, I should mention that the Swinger is about 23 years old. The timer is a hand wind up on the front and the temp readout is just a regular thermometer I guess...not digital. I didn't use a stopwatch to verify times, but perhaps I will to make sure. Don't think it's off by much, if any. -Neil

· Premium Member
11,130 Posts
It's not nice to toy with us with a title like this! :D

Okay, I will wait for the wash tests.

I have had *beautiful freshly pressed* shirts
that became *nightmares* in the washing machine.

That is where the proof is in the pudding. ;)

I get perfect and lasting images with a 30 second dwell time. I wonder if in the *wash* is where the reason for 30 seconds lies.

Please, please wash one of these shirts, if you wouldn't mind, and report back on cracking, etc... I'd really love to know. Usually around 10 washes seems to be enough to flush any problems out, and if you would be game for getting one going along, that'd be so awesome. Thanks. :)

· Registered
228 Posts
10 second dwell time on back pieces, 6 second on a 3.5" crest! Keeps me movin'...!!! -Neil
Neil...you are evil :D! We are very paper-sensative around here!! But you sure got our attention! ;)

Besides, I believe the new paper has been named JPSS-OLCFFIPNH5000WBTD Transfer Paper (OPAQUE LOW-COST FADE-FREE IDIOT-PROOF NO-HAND 5000 WASH BETTER-THAN-DTG). I should have my sample in hand right around the time my deed to Texas arrives. Can't wait for the wash tests.

· Registered
72 Posts
Actually I was just foolin' around with ya'all about the new paper. However, it isn't really a lie... Yesterday I was printing a batch of 40 tees (Jerzee 50/50 birch and tan). I just started using the jpss recently as I was having transfers made by someone else locally before. When I ordered the paper, I also bought a teflon sheet, which I had never used before. A bare heating element was all I used previously but it seems it's quite common to use the teflon. 30 second dwell times seem to be the norm for this paper.

So as I went about my first 150 pressings using the teflon sheet and 25-30 second time...I found myself standing around a lot. Another annoying thing was the teflon sheet was folded in quarters when it came and the folds never came out. When printing sweats, and sometimes shirts, often the image wouldn't print where the fold was. Anyway, being a little pressed for time, I decided to speed things up.

I was already printing the back pieces (approx 10 x 14) at 20-25 seconds and the smaller crest/pocket pieces (3.5") at 15 seconds with no change in the results. I tossed aside that damn teflon sheet and started reducing my dwell time little by little until I found I was still getting perfect prints at 10 sec for the large back piece and I could go down to 6 sec on the front crest with no trouble.

The only difference with the front piece is size... with my old transfers, I could do the same thing, tho' I would keep the back pieces to 15 sec or so. Heat is set to 365 and I'm using a pretty firm pressure on an old HIX 16 x 20 Swinger.

Absolutely NO pre-heating!

After the shirt slips over the platen, it gets kinda sweaty. Perfect. Lay on the decal and stamp away. Peel hot. I was knocking those critters off one by one! Almost constant motion and little "waiting around" time.

I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but the shirt slips over the platen like it would if you were screenprinting. Only one side of the shirt is between the platen and the heating element. I love this paper! Also, I'm using the textile transfer inks from Inkjetcarts printed on an Epson 1400.

I have to thank the members of this forum for leading me to my current setup. No longer do I have to rely on someone else to make my transfers, and the cost is less to boot! -Neil
What color profile are using with your Epson printer and Injet Carts Transfer Ink? Also, do you use ICM color management or another choice? David

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
David,

With regards to the color profile... I'm not really sure how to set it up properly. I just played around with the settings from Epson. Here is what I have it set at. For paper: Ultra premium photo paper luster. High speed and edge smoothing are checked. Brightness = 0, Contrast, Saturation and CMY all jacked to +25. Gamma = 1.8 I'm going to play around some more. Ross from Inkjetcarts sent me the disk with different profiles on it, but I haven't had a chance to use it.

I'll be printing some wash test samples later today. I plan to do 30, 20 and 10 second dwell times. Curious myself if there is any difference. I will say this. I've been stampin' tees for about 8 or 9 years as a part time business and usually make an extra shirt to wear for myself. It seems the garment will fade the most (usually just a little) during its first wash, then sort of stay the same until the shirt itself falls apart...which could take years. The biggest problems I've encountered were from pre-heating the shirt. Terrible thing to do...

There is a company call Pro-Distributors that makes a color copier paper (Dura-trans maybe?). I have a few shirts that were printed @ 1999 and they have the softest hand you can imagine and really minimal fading. The paper has a waxy feel to it. My last supplier was giving me ...I think...laser transfers...which looked beautiful, nice raised print, like enamel decals. They printed nicely also, but I don't think the hand is as good as Dura-trans. I used low dwell time with these papers also, with excellent results. The jpss offers me a lot more flexability since I can print only one design/transfer at a time instead of having to order bulk transfers.

Has no one else tried shortened dwell times? 30 sec seems like an awful long time for a tee shirt to be cooking under a hot skillet!

Chip, Yeah, maybe your right...Since this is new paper to me, I probably should have tested it first.

Okay, must go. I'll print and wash and post results. I'm even going to throw some vinegar, sand and gravel in the washing machine to really punish those tees... -Neil

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.