T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have been reading the forum for awhile, and recently I decided to take the plunge and start printing for myself. I have a small line of sporting apparrell and my local established screen printers and DTG printers were not really interested in small runs, and the ones who were weren't able to do them quickly so it made sense for me to find an affordable printer and press and start doing my own prints. So basically my small needs and a few friends who also have the same small run needs as I.

Anyway, I bought a Kiosk II on Ebay, a Hotronix auto open 16x20 press. The Kiosk II was demonstarted on pickup, then cleaning solution was put in for transport and storage until I was ready. Basically it took me a while to decide on and find a press on Ebay. In the meantime I have been reading here about the bulk ink option and my question is this. Should I take this opportunity to install the bulk ink since my machine is currently in storage state, is it a real improvement, easy enough to install? On the last point I am an electrical engineer by trade, mostly board repair and such, doesn't look too complex but I can't really tell from the description what goes into the change out.

And secondly, where should I start looking for basic training on using the machine. I have the videos (watched em), manuals (read them), been reading the forum as well. Is there any beginner tips threads I should be searching for?

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
I am gonna give you my best option (in my opinion) nothing against the bulk ink system it was never an option for us but please read about the "Bag System" from Belquette.

This is what we currently have...

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/direct-garment-dtg-inkjet-printing/t126346.html

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/dtg-brand/t122078.html

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/direct-garment-dtg-inkjet-printing/t105041-2.html#post618717

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/belquette/t85827.html

Here are some that agree with me..

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
And secondly, where should I start looking for basic training on using the machine. I have the videos (watched em), manuals (read them), been reading the forum as well. Is there any beginner tips threads I should be searching for?
I agree with Carla (FatKat) on the bagged ink system it's really the only way to go and as a new user it will eliminate so many issues new folks have.

As for training......really depend where your located, since you bought used you'll have to pay for training most likely, you could probably save a lot by just reading here on TSF and asking questions, but that is up to you, if you tell us your location we can make recommendations.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Save yourself some time go with the bag system which is , in my mind, a bulk ink system. If you are just going to be using it every 2or3 weeks consider not even loading the white ink and just printing on whites or very light shirts. If u use white needs to be run every day or 2. If not it will become very expensive very fast. Lots of ink used in cleaning print head replacement etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am gonna give you my best option (in my opinion) nothing against the bulk ink system it was never an option for us but please read about the "Bag System" from Belquette.

This is what we currently have...

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/direct-garment-dtg-inkjet-printing/t126346.html

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/dtg-brand/t122078.html

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/direct-garment-dtg-inkjet-printing/t105041-2.html#post618717

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/belquette/t85827.html

Here are some that agree with me..
Thanks for those threads. It does seem that the aftermarket ink systems are solving problems people are having with white ink. So the bagged conversion, seals the system, has bigger ink tubes, looks like much more visible routing of the tubes, and an improved damper.

What I don't see is a cleaning solution bag in any of the pictures, If you needed to flush a line, or introduce cleaning solution to the system as a whole how are you doing it.

Are the costs for a bagged system, roughly the costs on the "bulk" system? I believe the bulk is posted at $400 right now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with Carla (FatKat) on the bagged ink system it's really the only way to go and as a new user it will eliminate so many issues new folks have.

As for training......really depend where your located, since you bought used you'll have to pay for training most likely, you could probably save a lot by just reading here on TSF and asking questions, but that is up to you, if you tell us your location we can make recommendations.

Hope this helps.
I am located in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. I think the people I bought the machine from said they took some training in Chicago directly from the manufacturer. That would be ideal.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Thanks for those threads. It does seem that the aftermarket ink systems are solving problems people are having with white ink. So the bagged conversion, seals the system, has bigger ink tubes, looks like much more visible routing of the tubes, and an improved damper.

What I don't see is a cleaning solution bag in any of the pictures, If you needed to flush a line, or introduce cleaning solution to the system as a whole how are you doing it.

Are the costs for a bagged system, roughly the costs on the "bulk" system? I believe the bulk is posted at $400 right now.
Good point. On our machines, Kiosks and MODS, we added a small luer fitting in between the damper and the ink tube. This acts not only as a quick disconnect in the event that you need to swap out the damper, but it can be used to disconnect the ink tube, and connect a flushing tube. We have a manual flushing kit rigged up. I will take pics later.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Here is a picture of our new setup (both K2)

We use Belquette HMS and Original formula Windex (w/Ammonia) on daily basis for cleaning solution.. haven't needed to flush any lines since February when our first K2 was bagged. Don't see the need.. unless we were leaving on vacation.. don't see that happening anytime soon... hahaha

Marc- did you say you left yours alone for 14 days??? I mean why bother flushing a line if don't need it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I like the name of your machine Carla / Pat.
We named one of our Kiosks a few years back to Christine. Because she would always act up when I wasn't around, but run perfect when they tried to show me the problem. Just like Steven King.

The guys at our shop named the MOD1 Jessica, as in Jessica Biel, because she is perfect.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
I like the name of your machine Carla / Pat.
We named one of our Kiosks a few years back to Christine. Because she would always act up when I wasn't around, but run perfect when they tried to show me the problem. Just like Steven King.

The guys at our shop named the MOD1 Jessica, as in Jessica Biel, because she is perfect.

When we first started we had two fat cats.. lazy bums.. so hence the name..FatKat Printz

their names were Animal and Patches so..Animal was the oldest and a pain in the butt (so the newer K2) was named after Animal. Patches was abandoned and was really needy so the (recently bought K2) that needed the complete overhaul is Patches..

It works out because then we can point out who is ready and who is not!!

They have passed on and our new cat is named Moe..so guess we need another printer for him.. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.