T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Shawn and I had an idea for a while and I am finally going for my dream and starting my t shirt line. My line will be motivational and inspirational and I look forward to asking questions to others on the site.
I had a question about trademarks. I would like to start promoting my new t-shirt clothing line. I have my EIN number, business license and all of that good stuff. I am ready to put my product out there, but do you think it is ok to start everything without a trademark? I have been using the TM symbol for now. I am going to get the trademark in the future but i am not able to do so right now. I have noticed that some major clothing lines such as FUBU did not get a trademark right away. What is your outlook on this?

· Registered
897 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Trademarks are funny little creatures. I say funny because the rules vary state to state and it depends on if you are planning selling nation or world wide.

Trademarks can only be used for a product or service you sell. It is not the same as a copyright.

If you create a mark and just start using it you can claim ownership of it even if you do not register it. But it is a little harder to defend if some big money decides they want your mark.

Start using your mark and then check with your state and see what they want to register a trademark. If you register or use a mark in your state it will keep anyone from using it nation wide but someone may use it in another state as long as they are not selling or providing a service outside their state.

You could always register it with the feds and then you are covered all the way but it is more expensive and takes longer. And they may even deny the registration.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.