T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to do just everything wrong!

Since I only live 2.5 hours away, I decided to get up early and drive there. Not a good idea. I'm not used to being in the city, so I didn't know that parking would be an issue. All of the lots were already full and running back and forth to pay for more street parking was just a hassle and it kinda ruined my attitude. Next event, I'm going to get a hotel and then Uber/Lyft to the event.

My next mistake was only allotting a few hours to attempt to do what it would probably take all three days to do! I was rushed--especially because I was worried about my parking situation--so I didn't get to check out everything that I wanted to. I didn't get to visit anywhere near all of the exhibitors. Next event, I'm going to plan on spending the entire amount of time that it's open at the event.

Another mistake I made was getting so darned fat! Of course that pre-dates the expo. But it sure didn't help me to stand/walk for several hours. Not just the weight, being so out of shape. I should probably do some cardio.

I was pretty blown away by the enormity. Since everybody raves about Long Beach, I thought this one was gonna be some kind of rinky-dink little podunk show. Happily, I was completely wrong about that. Shucks, I didn't even make it to the third floor.

I got to meet and talk with a few industry reps and learned quite a bit. Saw all sorts of new stuff. Got some brochures and some freebies like a back pack and a T-shirt.

I guess I need to get busy selling some shirts so that I can attend the next event correctly!

· Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice run-down, were there free crawdaddy's?
Don't make me get all Cajun up in here! Them are "crawfish!" But to answer your question, I did not detect any free food.
Thanks for the post! Would have loved to make it but time did not permit it.
Well, it's not the only show. I plan to attend many more and even take some of the classes. Plus, it's a write-off!
I wish I could've made it. I also need to do better planning.
You know, on my trucker forum they discuss attending the few events in detail. A lot of guys plan to meet up and attend together and do other stuff together. We should do that, too!

· Registered
126 Posts
Let me give MY experience, I went to SGIA also
I live about 5 hours away up in Mississippi, I was there on the first day, i drove down the evening before and drove as far as Slidell LA which is about 25 mins from New Orleans to spend the nite, didnt want to get into the more expensive hotels in New Orleans, Ok "Driving Ziggy" you have to get up very very early for two reasons, to beat the traffic and also to get parking, NO street parking, parking lot parking right across the street is a flat rate of $20 that way you dont have to worry about going back and forth that fee is for all day, i left my hotel at about 5:45 drove the 25mins with almost no problems, even at that time of morning it got bumper to bumper a little bit but moved smoothly, when i made it to the parking lot there were tons of parks, got registered and my name tag and just sat around and relaxed and met folks and talked until the doors opened at 9, oh and by the way, the next you go to one take a nice suitcase with rolling wheels, you will thank yourself when its all over lol, Well the doors opened at 9 and it was like race horses at the gate , finally iin and wowwww i was blown away, it was like a dream world with ever piece of equipment and companies that you can imagine, USA Companies as well as other countries too, so i started on one end and worked my way to the other stopping at the things i was interested iin , and i had no idea there was still another floor. to do it right you really need all 3 days but at least 2, i was outta there by 3, tired, head spinning from seeing so much lol, legs hurtiing from so much walking, so if anyone has not been to one get ready! you are in for a treat, so like i said i was out by 3 iin time to get out of new orleans before the bad traffic hit. next year i plan to go to it in Las Vegas but i'll make a week of it and include a vacation as well. That was my expenience.
Please look over any Mistakes i my have made while typing lol.

· Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I was kind of overwhelmed by the sheer size and quantity of displays. And I was impressed by the foreign participants! I was expecting 99.99% American participation, but there seemed to be lots of Brits, Germans, Koreans, and Chinese. Probably more but I didn't get the chance to encounter them.

I'll be better prepared for my next show.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.