T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I sent in a design of mine to fast tjet to get a free sample on a black shirt.
I received it today. I sent a very high quality TIFF file and what was printed on the shirt was a poor semblence of my design. I washed it with care and when i took it out i rubbed my thumb over the design. It CAME OFF! Also, I looked close and saw the white specks of material they use to get their white. Yeah it looked somewhat nice just holding it up, but it was nothing I would ever resort to for my inteded purpose: high volume retail. Partly because the quality was not up to par.
Just thought id send this out as a word to the wise as i almost invested in the fast tjet2 myself. Hey maybe it does colour fine, but obviously their white ain't right.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I think this technology has a way to go yet especially printing on to dark shirts. If you are going for high volume is screen printing the way forward?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hiveind,

I am suprised about the tjet on your black shirt. We at DesignAShirt have had some great luck using the Tjet for our one and two shirt orders.

They are a pain in the butt orders, they do not look as great as traditional screenprinting, but how else can you afford to sell someone a 2 or more color front on one or two shirts?

I wonder if the guys at Tjet didn't cure it enough? We had that problem when we originally were testing the process, and we didn't have it go through the dryer like all of our screenprinted shirts. Now that we treat them the same way, we haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to ask myself though, is $15,000 plus ink costs worth the "onsies and twosies" if it means i get sub par quality dark tees? The answer is an emphatic NO after seeing the result of my design, which by the way was done by the very people who produce and sell the machine! Now if the people who use this machine day in and day out can't get it perfect that is troublesome. I'm surprised more lawsuits haven't cropped up over this machine just reading about it on the us screenprinters website. I read a post where one woman invoked the "lemon law" ( they went through THREE different machines) to get their money back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hello everyone... I am sure this is going to sound like a dumb question.. but I am new to the forum. My question is... what is the best method for printing shirts so that you do not feel it? I have researched the web for a week and I still have not found a definitive answer to this question. I have done screenprinting in the past... and all I can remember is the shiny look and feel of the print. I want my ink to look like it is part of the shirt. Not to beat the name into the ground.. but I recently received an Ed Hardy shirt for a gift. I know it was expensive.. but looking at the shirt.. the ink is just the way I would like to have it. Does anyone know what the process is to obtain that look? Is it DTG? Is it screenprint w/ water based ink? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone does know what technology it is... do you know where I can go in Florida (preferably North Florida) to have some work done? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
roxy923 said:
hello everyone... I am sure this is going to sound like a dumb question.. but I am new to the forum. My question is... what is the best method for printing shirts so that you do not feel it?

Also, if anyone does know what technology it is... do you know where I can go in Florida (preferably North Florida) to have some work done? Thanks!
print what... well what type of design ?

i think there is a place next door to the Malaga Towers in Holywood Florida that does that. I may be way off here.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
what is the best method for printing shirts so that you do not feel it?
Direct to Garment, Water Based Ink Screen Printing, Discharge Printing, Dye Sublimation are all common ways to print with "no hand" (no feeling of the design on the shirt).

You would need to just call around to local screen printers and see if they can do that type of printing. You could also check the boards at http://boards.screenprinters.net (or dyesub.org).

If you want to go the DTG route, then you might want to call some of the makers/vendors of the DTG machines to see if they have a customer that bought their machine in your area that is doing printing.

Finding a printer that does discharge printing might be a bit harder to find.

·
Registered
417 Posts
T-BOT said:
whats a Lemon Law ?
I don't know if that's what you call it for products but I do know there's a provision that you can take advantage of if a product you buy doesn't work as it was advertised.

I'm not sure what her problems were but if she had to go through 3 machines it's obvious for her the printer wasn't operating as advertise.

I had a problem with a major Color Laser Printer manufacturer years ago. During the same time I ended up meeting online several people that had issues with the same printer model. I also had read where someone else had gotten their money back after about 3 months of ownership so that gave me a little hope but i knew it was not gonna be easy because i had mine 8 months. The one thing on my side was i only had about 1000 prints on the machine. That low of a page count in my opinion would help show something had to be wrong as i should have had so much more having owned it 8 months.

I started calling tech support to build a history as up until that point I had not. One good thing i did was "keep all the waste" from the printer as sometimes the toner would "rub off". I had a box of paper the size of what a ream of paper comes in. I only had about 1000s prints on the printer as it just didn't work right and most of that was in the box of waste i kept.

Anyway long story short I fought with tech support management for almost a month. I was ignored, etc. I finally had my hubby call and then they sent out a tech. (That was 30 days after my initial call to them). I finally asked this question on Freeadvice.com

http://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=62380&highlight=printwows

When i contacted the warranty department I supplied "photos of the box of papers, and photos of problems i had, etc. I also pointed out that it took them OVER 30 days to send someone out. After a few visits my problem still wasn't fix. I also mention I had knowledge of others people having similar problems, etc. which showed the machine had some issues and what they advertised it as being able to do they now "backed off of" and say they "don't recommend". Since i had a need to do what was advertised (do transfers and work for digital purposes) the printer obviously was useless to me.

I sent the letter certified mail/return receipt. Three days ATFER I saw by check status at USPS telling me they got the info I had hubby call Tech Support. To my surprise they told him they were going to issue a refund. Sadly it wasn't until i got him involved did i get a dialog going with "tech support" as they ignored me for almost 30 days. Finally when he contacted them they sent someone out but that meant by then they had "breach the warranty contract" as i am supposed to have gotten service within 30 days. So all said, that machine cost me about $4,000. Had i had the problems i've seen a so many have with this DTG printer I'd do a similar think as $15,000 is a lot of $$$.

It's possible to get your money back when you have products that have issues but you have to be diligent and also you have to keep records, have proof, etc. Looks like she did just that.

One may wonder why would i 'keep a box' of wasted paper (which I did when i started having a lot of print issues). It's because somewhere in the back if my mind I felt I better as I may need it later. Turns out i did.

As for the white ink wash issues. It's common to have what you mention happend. It's due to the fact pretreatment can't be done 'consistently' (it's a manual process and you spray it on.) Therefore wash results will vary. Pretreatment works we ways because it's a manual process you can put (too much, too little or just the right amount of pretreatment). If you get it right you get good wash results. But since it's a manual process there's not way to pretreat successfully each time Thus the wash results will vary.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If you go to DTGForums.com you can find this same problem accrossed several DTG Print models. It seems to be a common problem and the reason is usually the ink not being either: 1. Pre-treated correctly or 2. Pressed long / hot enough.

I've also received samples where they were not pressed at all and most of the ink washed right out.

DTGForums has several different washability tests so you can see how bright the colors look after being printed and washed.

I wouldnt base your decision on one sample you have.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
printchic said:
One may wonder why would i 'keep a box' of wasted paper (which I did when i started having a lot of print issues). It's because somewhere in the back if my mind I felt I better as I may need it later. Turns out i did.
Scrap paper is useful. I often get pages that have been printed on one-side only that I don't need anymore; I can just print on the other side when I'm only printing a sample of something, test sheets, etc. Or, it's already set aside and in a stack ready to be thrown into recycle if I don't need most of it anymore.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
TahoeTomahawk said:
I wouldnt base your decision on one sample you have.
On the one hand, you're right about jumping to hasty conclusions based on one shirt.

On the other, given the source of the shirt, how bad the sample is, etc. I'd be very concerned if it were me. There is absolutely no reason it shouldn't have been perfect. In particular it should never be that bad... even if 1 in 20 customers experience that, you're going to get an extra 5% returns.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I know you can lease a t-jet. From what I can gather most of the problems with DTG printing is human error. People do not realize that these machines like any machine in your factory need daily maintenance, this will take you around 10 min at the end of the day. I also think some people need to take a refresher course in pretreating(I try to stay away from the black shirts)

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have had a fast tjet2 for quite sometime now and did go through a lot before i was able to print but as everyone else says this technology is in it's infancy and does need a lot of improvement but as weeks go by they are improving on the machines and help their customers out every step of the way.

for example, they're coming out with a brand new bulk ink system which they are shipping to tjet owners FOR FREE, if you bought it before a certain date.

i've seen it in action and its fantastic. as i said they're constantly improving on the machine and they're the only company out there that seems to be ont he verge of a very good thing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
can you name one that compares competitively price and quality wise? i've done plenty of research and gotten samples from almost all of them and the tjet stands out above the rest imo

1 - 20 of 35 Posts