T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in the process of buying a used sublimation system from someone. They have an Epson 1280 with a continuous ink system. They haven't used it in about a year. They have bags of ink that are unused. We were thinking of upgrading to a new Epson 1400, and saw that ink was compatible from the 1280. Is the bulk system itself compatible as well? How long will ink last in the bags themselves? Are there any drawbacks from having the bulk ink system itself sitting unused for a year? Would I be able to do multiple self cleanings to "get it going" again? Any advice is welcome! Thank you!

·
Banned
2,512 Posts
Run away as fast as you can. You have expired ink, a printer that is likely ruined and a CIS which when purchased new is unlikely to work. Dye sublimation is not as simple as it can be made out to be. If you are new you will without question need the assistance of a vendor like Johnson Plastics or Conde to hold your hand.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
On Line is correct...the ink is expired...and the nozzles on the printer are likely clogged..and CIS is always a headache with sublimation...especially ones from ebay.

Next problem..the 1400 has 6 carts and is more than you need...Call Conde...check out the Ricoh GX7000 (or the Ricoh e3300...both use a gel ink..not inclined to clog. I have had mine for a year and no clogs..more that I can say for my c88 series, 1280 or 1400. to learn more of sublimation go to DyeSub.org - An educational site for dye sublimation and digital transfer printing.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
What the boys said.

Dye sub is a very sensitive process - one element is not perfect and you'll have headaches galore.

It's always better to buy your equipment from a reputable company that will, as Mark said, "hold your hand" while you are starting out and give you all the support you need along the way.

Oh, and :welcome: !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts