T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a epson 4880 from someone who took the ink out. What an how should I clean it to make sure there is no caked ink in the head or nozzles? Also anyone that has a 4880 drop me a line and tell me how you like it for shirts. What do you do webern your image is bigger than heat press?

Thanks in advanxe

· Banned
2,689 Posts
First - you are going to want to throw some salt over your shoulders, cross your fingers and toes and hope luck is on your side.

Personally I would never purchase a printer that has not been used for a year. The odds are ify at best that it prints again. If the person flushed it after they removed the inks you are good to go - seldom do people do that.

Just to see if it will work will cost you a bit as you will either need to purchase refillable cartridges with cleaning fluid or buy cleaning cartridges. Being that you have to buy 8 it will not be cheap espcially if the print head is shot sitting for so long.

Best of luck

· Registered
1,448 Posts
I think it depends if the owner flushed it before pulling the carts.

I would also add go to cobra ink, buy a set of refillables, and then get cleaning fluid and run that first. If the head runs it, and the capping station pulls it, then get the inks and reset chips.

Worst case is a head, dampers, lines, capping station. and a few hours of time.

I really hope you did not pay a lot.

· Registered
557 Posts
I just bought a epson 4880 from someone who took the ink out. What an how should I clean it to make sure there is no caked ink in the head or nozzles? Also anyone that has a 4880 drop me a line and tell me how you like it for shirts. What do you do webern your image is bigger than heat press?

Thanks in advanxe
I hope you didn't pay over $100 to $200 for it. I use an Epson 4800 but recently traded some graphics for a non working 4880. I see non working 4000 series printers on Craigslist all the time and they are asking anywhere from $700 to $1500 and a non working 4000 series does not even make a good boat anchor. It's no easy task to clean it out and get it working especially if it started out with sublimation ink. Over the years you learn how to repair them and all their little quirks and you can find some answers here on TSF and on you tube. It would probably take $600 to $700 to have it repaired if they replaced the print head (just a guess) A working 4880 sells for about $1000 or less, so it's always best to buy a working printer especially if the print count is low.
For T shirts , the 4880 is over kill, it probably doesn't look that much better than a 4 color WF1100. I like the 4800 because we sublimate on Chromaluxe panels from professional photographs. Pro photograhhers are very picky about quality.
I only just started trying to get the 4880 working so I have a set of refillable carts on it and ran some cleaning fluid thru it but no luck on 3 of the lines.
Get some refillable carts and cleaning fluid and if your lucky all 8 lines will clean out easily.
When your image is bigger than your heat press then best solution is Get a bigger heat press. Not being a smarty but there is a reason the big boys have wide format printers and big heat presses, it's what the job requires.

· Registered
557 Posts

Thanks in advanxe
In the TSF classifieds there was a "ruimpress" selling used refillables for a 4800 which work in 4880 including reset chip. Last post was for $300 for the set.

· Registered
557 Posts
Ugh should I pay for the cleaning cartridges or just ask for a refund? It's only got 1000 prints on it
Most of the 4800'S OR 4880'S I see for sale got a clog and the owner just stopped using them and 6 months or a year later they decide to sell them rather than spend any more money. Don't know if they don't know any better or are trying to pass off their problem but the ads state "just needs a head cleaning". Over time,I have invested in 4800 reset chips, cleaning fluid, syringes and refill carts but if you are just starting out I would not recommend this route.
You have to make the final decision but if getting your money back is an option then it depends on what you paid for it. If you have 200 in it and can get it fixed for 700 then you have a good printer for $900 but still have to buy 8 inks for it. You could do a WF1100 or a Ricoh 3300 for a lot less, even the new Ricoh 7700 with oversize tray would be less money. You might want to consider those options

· Registered
10,343 Posts
if you are in southern california you can take it to computer co-op and they will fix it up for you. otherwise, find an epson certified repair center and take it there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.