T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,
how open are you guys to tshirts that tell a story?
i'm planning to launch a full series which tell the story of a comic character.
selling price should range between USD$20-25. Will be in small quantities world-wide. At most 20 pcs per design.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Could do very well. Certainly a nice niche.

Depends of the quality of the cartoon, and how you plan on spreading the word.

This is how Dickens sold his novels....each chapter as a short story, ending in a cliff hanger, so people would buy the next chapter.

Hence the sprawling mass that Dickens novels read like today....

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Jinx said:
how open are you guys to tshirts that tell a story?
Very.

Jinx said:
i'm planning to launch a full series which tell the story of a comic character.
A comic character, or a comic book style character?

I'm fine with t-shirts having a narrative (I like it even) and I don't mind if that narrative is in "chapters" and doesn't stand alone, but I probably wouldn't wear a tee that had a series of panels like a comic book strip (I might if it was really good, but it'd be an uphill battle for that sale).

In other words it very much depends on how you're telling the story. But yes, in theory I'd be open to that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sounds pretty cool. A design can have narrative in it without needing multiple panels, I suppose. I've always wondered if a design that has inherent conflict (ie. plot) tends to stick more in people's heads than designs without inherent conflict - ie., the Nike swoosh (no conflict) vs a design of Coyote about to blow up some dynamite beneath Roadrunner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's a comic character, just like a normal comic, with good guys and bad guys, mainly about the story of a lead character. Talking mainly about society in a comic kinda way.
as for narratives, i think not. don't want it to look like a spin-off of a superman or batman classic comic.
no panels like a comic strip of course. I'm still searching for a good tshirt company.
about marketing, i guess i will get a simple webpage done up and also advertise here. You guys might become my first cilents.....haha. Thanks for the feedback guys! really appreciate it!

·
Registered
56 Posts
This sounds like the adventures of Mike Hawk. I suggest you do a real survey. Have someone make a few shirts for you. Just a few. Show them to strangers and watch their reactions.

If it's good, then you're onto something. If it's so/so then you need to perfect it. If they look at you with a vacant stare, then forget it.

A product in the hands of a stranger is the best survey. Then consider the rest..

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm all for artistic expression, voicing opinions and having fun.

Selling shirts for $20-25, world-wide? Only 20 pcs per design? What countries did you pick?

Am I missing somethig?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes 20 pcs worldwide. I'm based in south-east asia. So it's actually based on 1st-come-1st-served basis. I'm open to all customers who appreciate the work! ;)
yeah mikehawk, i will try out the stranger kind of survey. thanks alot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts